31 replies to this topic

#1 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

Hey guys,

Thought I’d doing a bit of a better write up than the one I threw together on my phone.

This is my pre face lift Gen 3 Liberty.

My older brother bought this car from a dealer on Ballarat Rd back in 2010 when he just got his P's. It had around 160,000km on the clock, and seemed be pretty thrashed and not super well looked after but he got a decent deal on it (6.3k down from the dealers asking price of 8.9)

When signing the transfer forms we noticed that it was a repairable write off (which the dealer forgot to mention) but he already liked the car and had decided on it so he bought it anyway.

It came equipped with the Blitz NUR Spec R exhaust and black WRX wheels (I think they came from a Club Spec Evo WRX) so it was a bit cooler than bone stock, and he did make a few small modifications in the time that he had it. (Interior lighting, cluster lights, HID kit, footwell lights etc) and wired in a Pioneer headunit, nicer speakers and a Pioneer Sub and Amp.

This is what the car looked like when he bought it (after some cleaning)

Tv1WOYV.jpg

mpSA5n7.jpg

I bought the car off him for 3k sometime in 2013 with 220,000km on it, and it drove perfectly fine all the way to over 290,000km without having a cent spent on servicing other than the standard oil change and some blown bulbs etc.

Unfortunately when it did have a problem, it was a fairly big albeit uncommon one being a blown head gasket. Seeing as by now there was quite a few outstanding things that should've been replaced by now but I was low on funds and just drove it as is (split boots and other minor things that the mechanic had quoted about $900 to get it up to scratch) I decided on finding a donor car or motor with a few less km on it and doing a full engine swap.

Luckily, the mechanic I became friends with by that time had a Gen 3 in his garage with some minor body damage that he'd bought at auctions after his friend smashed it and wrote it off. The engine had just under 70,000km and rest of the car had around 150. Since he did the swap and worked on the car so we knew it was in good running order, we swapped pretty much everything over including most of the interior which was all in a lot better condition and when I finally got it back on the road it literally felt like a whole different car. Everything felt so solid and smooth and it went from feeling like a bomb to feeling like a really nice car to drive.

A few months later, my girlfriend bought a Fiesta XR4 and I realized that her car was not only faster, but had a way nicer interior so I started looking at ways to improve mine. I read some build threads on here of other Gen 3’s and of course I caught the JDM bug when I saw everyone’s JDM upgrades that I previously never knew about.

The first thing I bought was a MOMO steering wheel, which I paid a bit more than I should have but that was because it was in mint condition so I wanted to buy a perfect one instead of upgrading later on down the track. The next upgrade I wanted to do was the Blackout Cluster, I found one on eBay which was also more expensive than others I saw for sale but it closely matched the KM’s of the donor car (and cluster I had in there) and also had enough wires remaining in the plugs to make wiring up a harness a lot easier than starting from scratch.

Will update as I go along in the comments, and here is a list of the current mods on the car and ones which I plan to do one day.

Mods List:

-JDM Grille

-GC8 Bucket Seats

-Momo Steering Wheel

-Rev C Blackout Cluster

-Blitz NUR SPEC R Exhaust

Wish list:

-JDM Front Bar with Lip

-Redline Shift Boot

-Black Carpets & Floor Mats

-STI conversion

-S401 Hazard Switch

-PlastiDip Dash Trim

-Aluminium OEM Pedals

gCGFH5e.jpg

Cheers!

Albert

#2 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

Nice Lib mate...

Good to see you start a bid thread....

#3 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

Hi Albert & welcome to Subyclub.

Get a 20 mm rear sway bar, it makes a huge difference to handling.
I wouldn't recommend plastidipping your console bits. It's not durable enough and gets damaged in no time.

#4 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't recommend plastidipping your console bits. It's not durable enough and gets damaged in no time.

Hmmmmm I really wanna try to get it to look like the s401 dash and I've seen people plasti-dip and it came out really well. I guess I could try vinyl wrap it gray but plastidipping seems a lot easier to not stuff up..

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hmmmmm I really wanna try to get it to look like the s401 dash and I've seen people plasti-dip and it came out really well. I guess I could try vinyl wrap it gray but plastidipping seems a lot easier to not stuff up..

Welcome!.

Plastidip is ok for trial purposes on the dash trims - it looks (and feels) good for a short time... but then as Kong says, gets damaged easily.

It gets visibly scratched quite quickly, and if there's any abrasion at all, it'll peel at those points..

fresh on my boot surrounds to hide the grandpa-spec woodgrain.

Attached File  plastidip.jpg   43.79KB   12 downloads

#6 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Interior before

duDIDMQ.jpg

After BFM + Momo Wheel

Q4omDsk.jpg

Blackout cluster install went smoothly, made a harness using connectors from mouser and the pinouts that were on some other forum, took about 4 hours and less than 20 minutes to take out the old one and put this in.

Was fine until the next day when my dad took the car and it wouldn't start at the shops, figured out it was the alternator wire. There were 2 on the AUDM and 1 on the JDM (actually found two of the same colour but only one in the diagram)
Swapped it over and alternator worked again. Giveaway was the battery light didn't light up first time around but I didn't notice it!

One of the halos was also blown but a T5 globe from super cheap was a perfect match. Ordered some red LED's from eBay and will try them out when they arrive :)

#7 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

Welcome!.

Plastidip is ok for trial purposes on the dash trims - it looks (and feels) good for a short time... but then as Kong says, gets damaged easily.

It gets visibly scratched quite quickly, and if there's any abrasion at all, it'll peel at those points..

fresh on my boot surrounds to hide the grandpa-spec woodgrain.

plastidip.jpg

Nice !

That's exactly the look im going for! If only there was a way to make it more durable..

Does it get scratched just around the gear boot or everywhere? I can't imagine the other parts getting scratched but maybe I just don't notice how much I touch it

#8 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Welcome to Subyclub.
There's plenty of love for the Gen 3 around these parts

ndvgQm2.jpg

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

Nice !

That's exactly the look im going for! If only there was a way to make it more durable..

Does it get scratched just around the gear boot or everywhere? I can't imagine the other parts getting scratched but maybe I just don't notice how much I touch it

I've found its gotten surface scratches from me just bumping it or dragging things like keys across it. I stick stuff in the cubby under the ash tray, and the leading edge of the surround which butts against the cubby has peeled.

It does feel nice though.. pity its not durable. It might hold up better if you sand the surrounds and put it on nice and thick.

#10 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to SubyClub mate.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#11 applegeek897

applegeek897

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Technology and Photography

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

Welcome mate!

Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

#12 Adictions

Adictions

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

Welcome. I plastidipped my "wood" trims on my old outback, looked alright after 1.5 years, got a couple of marks in front of the shifter that were easily patched up withing 10 min. +1 on a Whiteline rear sway, great and easy mod, want one for my new lib.

H1BI8Fb.jpg

#13 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:13 PM

Welcome. I plastidipped my "wood" trims on my old outback, looked alright after 1.5 years, got a couple of marks in front of the shifter that were easily patched up withing 10 min. +1 on a Whiteline rear sway, great and easy mod, want one for my new lib.

Well that makes me feel better about it. I think I will give it a shot, if it wears too quickly then I'll figure something out!

And thanks for all the welcomes guys, what a friendly bunch :) 

#14 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

hey mate nice job on the black face cluster, any idea if that came from a 4 or 6cyl car?? That's something I wouldn't mind doing to mine!

#15 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

PlastiDip is the aids of the car world. Do things properly and prep / paint.

OEM+

#16 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

hey mate nice job on the black face cluster, any idea if that came from a 4 or 6cyl car?? That's something I wouldn't mind doing to mine!

Thanks! It came from a 4cyl legacy, I'm guessing you've read that the tacho is off when you mix 4/6cyl car/cluster :)

It's made the biggest difference to my interior, feels like a different car having such a nice cluster to look at compared to stock.
The wiring was kinda daunting and took a bit longer than I expected (didn't seem like much to do but there's something like 50 wires - it did take a while and it's pretty tedious/boring work) but in the end it all went smoothly after I figured out which alternator wire to use and took less than 5 hours all up.

Only thing that kinda annoys me sometimes is the halo's aren't very bright on a sunny day but I'm hoping putting LED's in will make them more visible, and with headlights on it dims the lights so if it's pouring rain during the day and you use your headlights its a bit hard to see the cluster - I am planning to take out the dimming connection so it's always bright or a switch but I'll do that when I'm putting LED's in.

#17 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

Finally got some trims on the way. 
Didn't have to end up Plasti-Dipping or painting the ones I have now, and they are exactly the finish I wanted them in which I'm really happy about.

1oxd4KM.jpg

Also got a few things on the way from IM, so excited for that.

#18 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

IM is the best, but it empties ya bank account.

Nice job on the cluster, plus your other mods too.

#19 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hey all :)

Been a bit busy but I guess it's time for an update.

Import monster container arrived a while ago with a few things so I made the trip to Bayswater to pickup, about an hour from where I live up North. Managed to snap up some sweet S401 interior bits on yahooauctions which I was super excited about because it's my favourite Subaru interior. Spent a bit more than I should've but it's S401 stuff and I didn't know when another poor one would make it onto yahoo in parts.

Also picked up some STI pedals from an eBay auction down the road at Import Revolutions, and had a few small things coming from eBay and redline goods.

First things to get installed were the S401 handbrake and STI pedals. I got my friend Vince at Rigoli Automotive to help me with them at my service, because I didn't want to be stuck without a handbrake or accelerator pedal for too long haha. I should probably start doing these minor things myself but I'm mechanically challenged and didn't want to be stuck without a working handbrake or accelerator pedal.
The brake and clutch pedals are just covers in the same shape as the rubber bits that came stock on my Liberty, with the aluminium on the front and rubber back.  (looks easy but  we spent half an hour trying to somehow force them on with lots of swearing and getting cramps in our arms) The accelerator pedal had a pin holding it in so the pedal assembly had to come out but it was a simple enough job that I was happy to have Vince do for me :)

cJX9JmZ.jpg

Interior was already looking much more presentable with the aluminium pedals. Rubber ones were so grandpa spec and I couldn't wait to have them off.

Next up were the S401 door cards, which were a very easy swap. Never done it before, so the first one took a bit of fiddling to get it on right, but once I figured out how to position them to get them on right the rest were a breeze. Again, much happier with the look of the car and they made a pretty big difference to the stock RX pattern.

iYXwtdx.jpg
LJdZK7u.jpg

The next interior piece that needed attention was the gear shift boot. The 20 year old on vinyl was looking very tired and the vinyl had started crumbling/peeling off and it was annoying and disgusting. I ordered a redline boot with Nappa leather and red stitching. 

asKxJ6y.jpg

It was an easy enough job, a bit fiddly at the start getting it to stick to the holder bit for the first gluing stage with the holes lined up but once the first part dried the rest was easy. It was a bit hard to get the knob onto the collar with the new boot, must be thicker leather, but it worked in the end. Took the opportunity to throw on the sti knob I had recently acquired, and I glued the new boot straight to the new gray palstics  I had acquired and got rid of the grandpa woodgrain ones - didn't even have to plasti-dip anything as they came standard like that so I'm happy and they look so much better.

RnUDqAu.jpg
sOiybOS.jpg
5qoEShh.jpg

The knob looks awesome and it feels really good to shift with. At one stage I had a cheap momo knob on there (probably not even genuine) and the shifting felt worse than with the stock knob so I ended up switching it back.
But with this knob it was instantly much more enjoyable to drive, shifts feel so smooth and nice and the knob fits perfectly in my hand. It was a bit pricy but the best interior upgrade I've done to the car because I can actually feel it all the time and it's not purely a cosmetic thing.

Next up was the steering wheel - The Momo wheel I had on the car already was in mint condition without a mark on it and cruise already installed, so I decided to keep that and just switch the S401 airbag over. It is missing the red stitching but I'm happy how it is, and I can always just figure out how to get a cruise control lever onto the sti one. 

Finally took a photo of all the new bits in and I'm really happy with the result. Massive difference to what it looked like a couple of months ago. The only thing I'm waiting on at the moment is some black floor mats, the greeny coloured ones are now the only thing I don't like about the interior. 

Before

F8zOBpV.jpg

After

clpa38m.jpg

That will probably be it for a while, happy with the car now as it is although I will probably end up doing some more small things somewhere along the way. Otherwise its saving time and hopefully I can be driving something turbo in the not too distant future :)

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

Fork me rigid do 401 bits make all the difference. Looks so mint. Did you get all 4 door cards?

Where abouts in Vic are you other than south? We have a meet most weeks in burwood if you want to come along

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users