Photo

Installing brake discs/calipers from a Forester onto an Impreza??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyKong

KrazyKong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

My Impreza 2000 RX GC8 non turbo sedan has tiny front brake discs and rear drum brakes. The car came with 18" rims and to put it bluntly the brakes look horrible. They look like tiny little tea saucers.

I'm looking for a cheapish way to upgrade them. Now I know alot of other Subaru's share parts, like the Forester etc. Can I get a set of drum discs, calipers from the wreckers and bolt them onto my Impreza? Would it work for the fronts? and could it work for the rears since I have drum brakes?

The reason I bring up the Forester, is because my local wreckers have tons of them. And since I can pick the parts myself, it could be a cheaper option for a brake upgrade. They don't have any Impreza's unfortunately.

#2 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

Best bet is going for the liberty GT or 3.6 brakes. They are bigger than a forester but still pretty cheap.

Ive sold my old set for around $300 and have bought sets at that price before.

Almost as big as brembo discs (316 vs 326).

The other option is look at a tribeca. Pretty sure they come with big brakes.

#3 KrazyKong

KrazyKong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for that info Surge. I'm not after filling up the entire 18" space with a big brake disc, I just want to get bigger ones than my tiny little non turbo ones. I think I can get a set of calipers and discs/pads etc. from the wreckers for about $100 so I got me thinking. Even if I have to machine the rotors or replace them, its still seems a cheap way to get bigger brakes on the fronts.

It's just whether or not they actually align and bolt on without having to mod them that I'm trying to find info on.

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Front's will go on no problems and you have a few options. You could go turbo 2 pots (or 4 pots) up front which both use a 294mm rotor. As for the rears, I imagine it would be a case of replacing the rear hub to a disc brake hub. Not too cluey on that one but I would think you'd need to do something with the lines as well.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#5 KrazyKong

KrazyKong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Would a set of turbo brakes be more expensive though? And the wreckers I've been to don't have any Impreza's at all, let alone turbo ones. I'm looking to do this on the cheap and take advantage of 3-4 Foresters at the wreckers where I can get a set of brakes from. They definately look bigger than the ones I have on my car, which I think are probably the smallest size ones you can get. Even if I just do the fronts, it should make a difference. If the rears require new lines etc., then it might be too big a job and not cost effective, I don't know, that's why I'm asking the experts here hehe :)

#6 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

Any of the foresters fronts will bolt straight on. It will be more worth the effort getting SG ones

Rotor Size

SF - 277mm

SG - 294mm

Rears you will need to change the whole hub and brake lines possibly the handbrake line as well...

Did you have a read of this http://www.subyclub....other-upgrades/

#7 KrazyKong

KrazyKong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

SAV84C, wow that's good info. Thanks mate.

What I haven't done is actually measure my brake discs to see how big they are. Looking at that list, it seems I have 260mm ones, but I need to go measure mine at some point to verify that.

I'm not sure what size the brakes are for the Foresters at the wreckers. I'll have to go back and measure them and have a look. But if they are all interchangeable and will bolt on, then I might just pick them up anyway. They also have some Legacy's there as well. Looks like I'll need to research it a bit more and see what is available, from what year car and then report back here.

I've only ever replaced rotors once, and have done about 4 brake pad changes. So I've never done a full caliper replacement. Provided I get all the parts from the wreckers, I'm confident to do it, but I just hope I don't get stuck with missing parts and no brakes on the car to go back and get said missing parts lol

#8 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

If you get stuck then put your original brakes back on.

Just remember you can bend or remove the dust cover since the new rotors will scrape on it since they are bigger.

Aim for a H6 3.0 liberty if you have one there.that way they are likely the biggest brakes (other than brembo).

#9 KrazyKong

KrazyKong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

I'm feeling confident I can do the fronts ok. As for the replacing the drum brakes, it sounds rather complicted. But the wreckers will have all those parts too I'm sure. I don't have a hoist or air tools or anything. Thus It's just going to be me with my breaker bar and sweat and hopefully not smashed knuckles trying to work it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users