• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Josh_2012Outback

Josh_2012Outback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Hi, I've just purchased a 2012 Outback 2.5i petrol auto, 75,000km on the clock. I am looking to gear it up for some minor 4x4 adventures. I'm new to all this, so any feedback is appreciated please. 

Type of Travel:
95%+ city and highway driving (on the M1 from Sydney to Gosford/Newcastle).
I'd be going once a month off-road on camping trips - small rocks, bumpy dirt roads, dawn and dusk driving on country roads, occasional sand and mud.

PROPOSED MODIFICATIONS:
SubaXtreme bull bar ($2,500 installed) or number plate mount for lights ($20) - Not sure if the bull bar is necessary? Don't want to mess around with a nudge bar as they won't protect me from a roo. All or nothing (bull bar or cheap light bar).
SubaXtreme sump guard (approx. $400) - is it necessary?
Hayman Reece Tow Bar $820 (also will a useful recovery point).
I'm not keen on a lift kit due to the effect on handling and wear on CV joints etc.

GEAR:
- Uniden 8060 UHF radio with GME front mounted antenna ($330)
- 5 Inch 60w LED Driving Lights ($400)
- ARB Tyre repair kit and ARB quick deflator
-5,000kg snatch strap
- X-Treme Exhaust Air Jack (because it cost me $50 and it's worth $300)
- Bushranger Recovery Tracks (Worth $200, got them free. the roll up rubber ones, not the "Maxx Tracks" hard track ones)
- Bushranger Air Compressor (RRP $250)
- NOCO Jump Starter Battery ($170)
- Australian Direct KICK-ASS Deep Cycle 15,000mAh battery for camp lights, 12v kettle, charging phones etc.
- Kings Rooftop Awning to mount to roof racks ($100)
- Second spare tyre with rim (currently I only have the "max 80km/hour" spare) ?

Would you recommend the sump guard/bull bar for my driving?
Also, (this question also posted in the electronics section) - can anyone point me in the right direction for removing some of the lower dash for install of UHF and driving lights? I've very little idea but I'm sure it's been done before!

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks very much.

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

G'day mate,

Personally I'd be going with the subaextreme bar if you can afford it. I don't know what the new bash plate/sump protectors are like but the old ones used to crack really easily.

Jump on offroadsubarus.com and see what they recommend for the sump guard for your Subaru.

The tow bar is a good option, especially if the unit is neatly tucked up near the bodywork to keep the departure angle nearest to factory. If it hangs low it'll just catch on things all the time.

Lift: I'd recommend either a two inch strut lift or a one inch strut lift with raised springs. This will not dramatically effect handling like you'd think it would.

I'd also look at an external or larger auxiliary trans cooler too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users