• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FOZ255

FOZ255

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hi, i'm trying to install rear spoiler on MY04 XT.

Found the mounting templates here (subyclub.com) but which paper size do i print?

Drilling four holes is scary >____<;;

#2 tryangus

tryangus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

Hey mate,

Print on A4. 

Make sure the scale is set to 100% if it isn't already. If in doubt, print and physically measure the "scale box" with a ruler. 

IMG_6116_zps6v0eh7ux.jpg

I installed the SG 'Type C' wing as fitted to the pre-facelift SG STi which requires 4 holes + a hole for the brake light wiring. Template is actually from the USDM spoiler which is identical to Japanese wing except it doesn't have a tail light. I'm not sure whether this template will help with the later face-lifted SG. 

I drilled the upper 'guide' holes first as they're in a definitive location (you'll see a spot weld-like indentation on the inside of the tailgate). I was a little off with this first hole as you can see so I ended up using a step / Christmas tree drill piece to enlarge and centre it. A magnet covered in electrical tape helps catch metal shavings. 

IMG_6121_zpsd4lgdtjr.jpg
Using the edge of the tailgate and window glass as a guide, set the template in position using the hole you've just drilled and some tape. 

Masking tape over your paintwork isn't a bad idea. I had a towel on the roof to lay the spoiler so it was close at hand also. 

IMG_6122_zpshviqlhzz.jpg

From there, it's just a case of drilling the main holes and making sure the spoiler lines up correctly.

Measure twice, cut once etc etc.

If you're a little off, it doesn't hurt to 'slot' the holes a little to offer a little wiggle room to get the spoiler angle right. It roughly lines up with the curve of the tailgate but eyeball it against the curve of the roofline also to check it's positioned right. 

Brake light wiring hole is the last hole to make. I don't think it has a definitive location but you want to make sure it's roughly in line with the access hole in the underside of the tailgate. Again, a step drill piece works wonders here. I had a small rubber grommet that I used to centre the cabling though the hole so that it doesn't get cut up on the sharp metal edging.

To finish up, seal the holes with a little spray paint to prevent rust before installing. I used the template to make some double-sided sticky foam 'gaskets' in addition to some sikaflex around the holes to make sure they were well and truly weatherproof. Finish off your good work with some quality stainless fasteners.  

Shiny%20Foz%204%20of%2013_zpsf7nkiuk3.jp

This is the part number for the rear-window brake light delete panel - it completes the install nicely I think. 

IMG_6115_zpsgv8qujbd.jpg

Shiny%20Foz%205%20of%2013_zps69llrliw.jp

Shiny%20Foz%2012%20of%2013_zpsrqgerfv5.j

Good luck!

#3 FOZ255

FOZ255

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Thanks so much for your detailed informations!
Really appreciated!!!!
Many thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users