• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

I am looking at buying a MY05 Gen4 liberty GT manual but the advertisement says it "runs rough"

I contacted the owner and he says "maybe injectors", would there be an easy way of diagnosing what it is?

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Welcome to the forum mate.

That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. Is this model a twin turbo?

If so there's a wealth of knowledge on the forum and I hope one of the mob of members into these pipes up to help!

All the best with it. If you're not mechanically minded it's probably best to find another unit in good working order ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Welcome to the forum mate.

That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. Is this model a twin turbo?

If so there's a wealth of knowledge on the forum and I hope one of the mob of members into these pipes up to help!

All the best with it. If you're not mechanically minded it's probably best to find another unit in good working order ;)

Cheers

Bennie

2.0 single twin-scroll turbo, same as my new digs.

If you really wanted the car, use it as bartering ammo and get the price down significantly. He just wants to make his problem someone else's.

There's a tonne of reasons why it could be running rough. "Running rough" doesn't really say much until you have driven it. 

I would suggest test piloting it and reporting back here before making any commitment.

Or, as Bennie has said, give it a miss mate.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#4 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

Well, it's already at $4000 Aussie dollars so it's probably low enough considering its got new tyres, battery and fuel filter with a full service history book so I probably won't be complaining much if it's only injectors or something simple.

If it's something more complex (like engine rebuild) I'll swap in something with a bit more grunt haha

#5 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

I think the biggest question is Jimbo... Is it fun to drive? Haha

I'm currently driving a boring Peugeot Diesel so technically anything is more fun that that haha

Edit... Just found the edit button on mobile

I'm probably checking it out this Sunday, will probably update then

#6 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

Doubt it's the injectors.

While you're looking at it, keep an eye open for any loose vac lines in the engine.

Drive it long enough to get the engine hot and check for bubbles in the coolant (look into the overflow bottle).

If it has that then I'd be worried about a headgasket.

Listen out for big end bearing noise.

Also do a full lock turn both ways. In case of a bad centre diff.

#7 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

Doubt it's the injectors.

While you're looking at it, keep an eye open for any loose vac lines in the engine.

Drive it long enough to get the engine hot and check for bubbles in the coolant (look into the overflow bottle).

If it has that then I'd be worried about a headgasket.

Listen out for big end bearing noise.

Also do a full lock turn both ways. In case of a bad centre diff.

Thanks for the tips mate, I will remember to do that. Should I look out for anything else?

edit: Not sure about link rules on here, but here is the advert

https://www.carsales...D-4546215/?Cr=4

#8 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

On the first youtube vid, I think I hear a knock.

Be sure to watch a few youtube vids of what big end bearing knock sounds like and then go listen to the engine run in person.

If it's knocking then a new shortblock will cost over $2k plus labor and anything else that's done while the engine is out.

To me the car would be work $1K in that case as a project.

#9 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

I can do the labour, so that is fine, as I am getting a loan to get it because the pug is dying a horrible death, so I will try and see it tomorrow (the fellow hasn't been replying) so If I get it for $2000 or less because its a big end bearing plus I might as well go all out and do any upgrades I want while the engine is out.

#10 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Update: He sold it :(

Thanks for the help guys :) I will still probably get myself the Liberty GT anyway because I like the room.

Quick question though... How is the auto box in these?

#11 tryangus

tryangus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

I can't help but feel that you dodged a bullet. 

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the help guys :) I will still probably get myself the Liberty GT anyway because I like the room.

Quick question though... How is the auto box in these?

Yeah, probably a good think you missed out.

These are getting exceptionally difficult to find in manual which was what I just found out after picking up my GT a few weeks ago. My previous Gen3 Legacy GTB was an auto (first auto I'd ever had) and it wasn't nearly as bad owning one as I thought it would be.

I'm at the stage of life where I don't really care about transmission. A manual is always preferred but finding one, especially in a pre-facelift let alone a wagon, is a mission. The GT's went a whole year and a bit from release before Subaru Oz even offered it in a manual, which is why so many are autos.

The manuals also have a few more extra herbs over the autos. Manual is 190kw/330Nm and Auto 180kw/310Nm (though it feels like more).

I quite like the auto and there's 3 ways you can use. You can just plod along on D and it'll shift to the highest gear possible as soon as it can, for economy. You can also pop the shifter over into the gate and leave it in "Sport" mode, which allows it to run out the gears longer or kickback gears more responsively. Lastly, you can use the shifter in the gate tiptronically to pick your own gears. In this mode, it'll stay in the same gear until you tell it change, though it will drop gears automatically when you slow down. It also has buttons on the steering wheel which you can use to change gears but I find them a bit un-intuitive due to the awkward way you have to hold the steering wheel at the same time. You wouldn't use the buttons while doing some blasting through twisties, better suited if you were over-taking on a highway.

I've found the best mix of response and driveability is to just leave it in "sport" mode.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#13 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

If you drive normally as well when it's in Sport mode shouldn't use too much extra fuel either. I've done a few tricks and the difference is negligible, but the car definitely performs when you give it some go. :)

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#14 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

I'm currently looking at a $14,000 2007 spec.b at the moment, I took it for a test drive and boy it went haha.

What kind of fuel usage do you guys get?

#15 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

I think I am anywhere between 11.8-12.2L/100 km for my EZ30R (6-cylinder). That'd be a mixture between regular and in city traffic driving. How many km does that one have on it if you don't mind me asking?

It will all depend on your geographic location and how heavy you are on the accelerator.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#16 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

150,000 to 180,000 or something like that, it also has wrx turbo, larger top mount and has a full service history by a local performance workshop

#17 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

You might find a Gen v for around that price if you look hard, example:

https://www.carsales...D-4532690/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales...D-4536450/?Cr=1

The gen V has different rods and other features that save a bit more fuel. Though they are bigger so it's probably offset by size.

Anyway just another option.

#18 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Thanks surge, I'll look into it

#19 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I take it you're chasing a similar level of comfort to the baguette. Have you tested any Gen4 H6's? They're on the money and its probably easier to find a clean example. Most turbo's are overpriced or clapped out, there is very little middle ground now. They're getting old. Gen5 is about as ugly as a Peugeot so maybe it would suit  :sarcastic:

#20 agilly1989

agilly1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

What's the power like in the H6 compared to the 2.5T?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users