• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 peterg

peterg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

This is my first post.  A week ago I purchased a 2005 Forester X auto EJ251 with 107k km.  It was purchased from a friend.  It was sold because the owner wanted a newer Forester plus they knew the timing belt must be replaced and preferred to put the money into a newer car.  Also, the sale was accelerated after it had just been serviced and the mechanic said it had a cylinder head gasket leak (I understand this seems to be normal for this model).  My questions are:

(1)  I just pulled the lower plastic engine cover off from underneath to look at the engine and the only leak seems to be from a weaping gasket or seal around or from the water pump.  The sealing face along the head edges is clean except for the rear of the passenger's side head which has a dusty oil mark about the size of a thumb nail (but no drips).

I was planning to lift the engine out and do the heads at the same time as the belt using a Comitec MLS head gasket.  Now that I can't see a head gasket leak I am asking everyone's advice here about whether I should replace the head gasket even though I can't see any leakage?  I leave the engine in to do the belt.

(2) The EJ251 is a SOHC engine.  I googled some info about changing the belt and noticed that the factory manual shows two different special tools to remove the right & left camshaft pulleys.  Does anyone know if the two pulleys are different?  Does one have spokes and the other doesn't?  Years ago I made a simple tool that fits into the spokes and it worked on the three other brands of cars in my family.  If I have to, I might buy the special cam holding tool ST499207400 from ebay, if one of the pulleys doesn't have spokes.

(3) Also, does anyone have a set of genuine fog lights I could fit into the bumper holes and a good condition plastic surround that holds the ash tray in silver colour (auto gearbox)?

Thanks

Peterg

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hi and welcome to SC.

Usually a HG leak won't show on the outside of the engine. What can happen is the HG can crack between a water galley and the cylinder. You can get coolant leaking into the cylinders and burning up along with over-pressuring of the cooling system. It usually blows out the overflow when that happens.

If I was in your position, I would pull the engine and do them anyway. It would be much better peace of mind knowing it's done. It's also a shit tonne easier to do the timing belt with the engine out anyway. While you have the opportunity, you may as well do as much as you can with it out. Replace any water hoses, seals, gaskets etc. as much as you can possibly find.

You don't need to remove the camshaft pulleys to do a timing belt so I'm not sure what you're reading there? Best way to check out the cam wheel type is to just undo the plastic cover. It's more than likely to be one metal wheel and one plastic one.

As for the fog lights, post up in the "Wanted" thread for best chances.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 peterg

peterg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Jimbo. 

(1) Generally the timing belt kits supply the camshaft and crank oil seals along with the other bits. The kit I have already purchased has the three seals in it, hence my thoughts that I would replace those as I already have them but have to remove the pulleys to do so.

In addition, googling for info shows that the valve guides can move in this engine and if I found that, the cams would have to come out.

(2) On the plastic timing belt cover, just in front of the left hand camshaft pulley (when standing in front of the engine) is a rubber plug about 25mm diameter.  Do you know if it can be easily removed because I could then look through the hole to see if the left hand pulley is different.  I am interested to do this first as I like to have all the parts and tools ready before I start the job rather than to wait while the engine is in pieces.

(3) Also, I have already purchased a set of head bolts and am waiting for them to arrive.  Have you any thoughts on the Comitec head gasket or any other brand.  There are some cheap MLS gaskets on ebay and my searches about Comitec showed about 3 to 1 for that brand but not everyone was happy with them.  I don't want to waste a set of head bolts on a cheap gasket although the Comitec is not cheap.

Peter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Head gasket, cam pulley tool, fog lights, ash tray surround

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users