#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Gents,

Need to figure out why my McIntosh is not letting the CD player function.

Gen4 GT Series 1 so non-aux and expensive to go aftermarket so I'd like to retain the McIntosh, pending if it can be fixed. 

Long story short, upon picking up the car, on it's first clean-out I noticed the CD player function wouldn't work (radio and everything else works fine). It comes up with "mech error" when you try to switch to it, so obviously a mechanical fault of sorts within the unit or the stacker. Upon closer inspection I found a CD jammed well into (some happy clapper CD *shudders* ) and I managed to just retrieve it with some tweezers and lots of swearing. 

Now with the jammed disc free, I hoped it would sort itself out and cycle again. Negative. Still comes up "mech error". I have a feeling it wasn't the only CD jammed in it, and the previous owner kept trying to smash them in there. 

My question is, how the fork do you get the unit out and can it be saved? I don't really have the cash to replace it or go aftermarket, so I'm hoping it isn't totally naffed.

I've gotten as far as removing the centre console and I can't figure out where to go from there in fear of breaking the trim. 

Anyone got any pointers? I did a google search and came upon a DIY on .asn *shudders* but it was for Series 2 and a bit unclear and poorly thought out (no suprise there).

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

This is a known problem with McIntosh Jimbo, even one I road tested from a dealer had the same issue, disc jammed in it.

From what I understand digging through .asn, there is a fault with the disc load/eject drive and the track on one side of the loader fails.There was a bloke in Canberra that had parts and was able to repair it, but most victims seem to go aftermarket double DIN as you end up with a better unit. You are lucky with a series 1 as the double DIN face plates are available for single zone climate, series 2 victims have to sacrifice the dual climate when converting to double DIN.

I'm like you, I'd prefer to keep mine standard if possible but mine still works as I never use it......

Unfortunately I have no details of the repairer other than Canberra, sorry.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Thanks, Jase.

Reason I wanted to keep it was, from what I read, apparently you have to replace the factory amp under the seat to go aftermarket. 

Any reason you couldn't just plug in a double din unit and use the factory amp? 

ICE just isn't my thing and It's something I have never spent money on apart from my Gen1 which I put some shitty Sony speakers into, $50 tops lol

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

What about these things?

http://www.ebay.com....NQAAOSwTuJYppeS

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

TBH Jimbo I have no idea why you couldn't use the OEM amp with an aftermarket HU. Maybe it uses a high level input??

There is a massive thread on .asu called 'iPod connectivity' or similar that discusses all sorts of interfaces for aux in, bluetooth etc. From what i have read of it, most aftermarket devices work with the lower spec Clarion units but not always with Clarions 'McIntosh' units.

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Im running one of these through the AUX in (you don't have?) and I think it's pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com....e-/131408178305

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Unfortunately Series 1's weren't given an AUX input. I went through a few .asn threads so sorta have an idea but theres alot of conflicting info there. Went to have a crack at it today but Supercrap ran out of the dash/trim removal kits and I wasn't game ripping through uncharted territory with a screwdriver!

#8 Ezra

Ezra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

I had a similar problem where my cd wouldn’t read, not a mech error, but nonetheless cds didn’t play. How are you at soldering? With a $5 aux Bluetooth you can get around the CD thing all together and it sounds awesome!
I actually got a Bluetooth and a USB plug but I’m sure you can do without the USB plug. I just haven’t had a go at it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users