7 replies to this topic

#1 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hey guys,

My MY02 Liberty B4 temp gauge moves towards hot and back to middle randomly.

-No waterfall noise behind the dash
-Overflow tank level is consistent. middle or towards low in the mornings and just over the full mark after a long and hard drive.
-no bubbling in overflow
-new genuine rad cap and thermostat.

How hard is it to troubleshoot or replace the temp sensor, wiring, etc?

#2 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hi all,

Any idea?

#3 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

Jason, mine did a similar thing. The temp sensor behind the alternator was the cause.
They're fairly cheap iirc.

#4 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I had change my temp sensor and was still having that problem. It was the gauge inside the instrument cluster for me. I change out the entire cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 glenisanutter

glenisanutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Snowbording, Dirt Bike, SUBY

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

I'd start at the temp sensor. If it was the thermostat or cap it would do it all the time. A blocked radiator would only do it under load. Or on a super hot day. Random generally means electrical. As long said cheap part easy to get at. If that doesn't work start checking wiring circuits.

#6 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

This is probably not particularly helpful but I had the same symptoms when MRT nearly killed my B4 as they didn't tighten the big radiator hose which caused it to pop off and leak everywhere. After topping it back up and let it go through the system (I was stuck on side of road mind you), I started driving and the temperature gauge pulsated up to very warm then back to operating and back up again. It kept pulsating.

Not sure if that helps out

MY01 Subaru Liberty B4 Tuned by Kido Racing

Body mods - JDM Front flairs and centre piece, STi rear spoiler

To Be Fitted: Blitz Front Mount Intercooler Assembly. (Wasn't cheap!)

Sequential twins are fun, nothing like letting your guard down then getting a swift kick in the arse at high revs.

#7 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Car has been running fine for a year.
I just haven't had a chance to drop by to a mechanic for testing.

Something I didn't mention is my fuel low light stopped working about 3 years ago. Didn't bother me but it has worked a few times since then.

The green light that shows the low beams or parkers are on went out ~4 years ago.

About 2 years ago i noticed the fuel gauge randomly dropping below E then would climb back to the correct level after a few mins or 20 mins.

The gold ring around the temp gauge went out a few months ago, but then started working the day after and has been working gine since...

To be honest, not too concerned about those small things, just want to know if my engine is actually getting
hot. I may consider buying another cluster in the future.

Does anyone recommend an aftermarket coolant temp gauge and where should the sensor be placed?

#8 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Car has been running fine for a year.
I just haven't had a chance to drop by to a mechanic for testing.

Something I didn't mention is my fuel low light stopped working about 3 years ago. Didn't bother me but it has worked a few times since then.

The green light that shows the low beams or parkers are on went out ~4 years ago.

About 2 years ago i noticed the fuel gauge randomly dropping below E then would climb back to the correct level after a few mins or 20 mins.

The gold ring around the temp gauge went out a few months ago, but then started working the day after and has been working gine since...

To be honest, not too concerned about those small things, just want to know if my engine is actually getting
hot. I may consider buying another cluster in the future.

Does anyone recommend an aftermarket coolant temp gauge and where should the sensor be placed?

given all that shit - I'd be suspecting your temp problems are the solder joints on the cluster board, or any of the plugs going into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users