←  Twin Turbo

Suby Club

»

Downpipes or FMIC

tinhow's Photo tinhow 07 Jul 2009

Hey all. I own a 2003 Legacy RSK and have some cash to spend and was wondering whats a better bang for the buck, the Scarles FMIC setup or custom turbo downpipes? Im considering getting downpipes fabricated with 2.5inch coming off both turbos. For anyone who has modded the downpipes, did you feel a noticeable difference in power? I wonder if the FMIC setup will give more power. Please share your experiences and if you have any horsepower and torgue gain numbers please share.

XXB4XX's Photo XXB4XX 07 Jul 2009

Downpipes are the better way to go before you get a cooler, And yep, pretty noticeable difference, although you are best getting the rest of your exhaust Hi-flow as well..

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 07 Jul 2009

FMIC itself does not at much more power, just vastly reduces heat soak in the twin turbos and alows for a much better tune. Also sounds and looks better :)

tinhow's Photo tinhow 07 Jul 2009

My car is also Ecutek tuned so I would do a reflash after. I have on a crappy 2.5 inch cat back system but its a straight thru hi-flow system. Ok so the FMIC kit is more for consistency rather than big power gains. XXB4XX what kinda downpipes u got? Are they both 2.5 inch? Is the power difference more at peak top end or is it through the entire rev range?

XXB4XX's Photo XXB4XX 07 Jul 2009

I used to have the car, now Will does :) I did custom 2.5inch hi-flow for both dumps.. power was more noticeable top end on the secondary turbo.. the primary is too small and gay to notice too much of a difference, but definitely felt it on the secondary.

Billsy's Photo Billsy 07 Jul 2009

i would go the FMIC before the dumps. the fmic on mine made a dramatic difference to the way it drove and changeover, although i also changed outthe subaru intercooler valve with one of my own.

Alex's Photo Alex 09 Jul 2009

i'll be selling my TT dumps soon.

tinhow's Photo tinhow 02 Aug 2009

Was gonna do the downpipes soon but a friend of mine told me he spoke to MRT about it. Basically they said dont increase the size of the primary downpipe to 2.5 inch, keep it stock because it will overspin the turbo and will lead to failure. So I think just changine the secondary alone to 2.5 is the best route to go.

Richo's Photo Richo 02 Aug 2009

But you're forgetting, MRT are retarded

buzzda's Photo buzzda 02 Aug 2009

I think your friend's a bit confused. I'm pretty sure they (MRT) actually recommend to put 2.5' pri and 3' second.

robt's Photo robt 02 Aug 2009

But you're forgetting, MRT are retarded

+1

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 02 Aug 2009

yes you will definitly get overspin/spikes with a 2.5 off the primary as i get that now, but yeah also i would never listen to mrt, they arnt very S.M.R.T!!!!! hopefully after i get a tune it will sort itself out, and if not its time for a boost controller :D

tinhow's Photo tinhow 03 Aug 2009

Haha. Yea MRT are retarded. But seriously if anyone did the 2.5 off the primary and got around the overspining/spikes let me know. I just want to be safe.

Alex's Photo Alex 03 Aug 2009

Haha. Yea MRT are retarded. But seriously if anyone did the 2.5 off the primary and got around the overspining/spikes let me know. I just want to be safe.

I have had 2.5" dumps off both the primary and secondary, and neither "overspun". Each ran at a healthy 16psi with factory boost control.

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 24 Sep 2009

I used to have the car, now Will does :)

I did custom 2.5inch hi-flow for both dumps.. power was more noticeable top end on the secondary turbo.. the primary is too small and gay to notice too much of a difference, but definitely felt it on the secondary.

So what did you do after the dumps. I've got a set that come together as a 3". Thing is i can get a pretty cheap midpipe that reduces down to a 2.5".

I've been told that i can get more power out of this instead of 3" all the way out.
Anyone know if this is the case or if there is no point reducing the size?

B4TT's Photo B4TT 24 Sep 2009

I have had 2.5" dumps off both the primary and secondary, and neither "overspun". Each ran at a healthy 16psi with factory boost control.

Fit my B4 :P LOL??