23 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hi all i recently got a 01 b4 twin turbo. I dont know too much about turbos as uts my 1st one ive ever owened but its got some issues the small turbo passenger side blows smoke from it and under neather it is pissing out oil all over the ground. Any help would be great thanks.Ok no worries

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

step 1: find and fix the oil leak.

There's an oil line goes into a banjo bolt, then a return line.  If its pissing out (high pressure?) - then likely to be the banjo bolt side.

Find out if the leak is just external (hopefully.. ) or internal

-- is the smoke just the oil burning off the outside of the exhaust?

-- pull off the intercooler and look for evidence of oil coming from that turbo into the intercooler.  If there's oil there, then you need a new turbo or get the turbo rebuilt.

#3 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

Yeah there is oil in the intercooler going into the intake manifold

#4 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

Basically what Duncan said.

Double post. I replied in the other one.

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Yeah there is oil in the intercooler going into the intake manifold

Yes - there always will be some.. mostly from blowby via the crankcase/PCV.

Check if there's any significant amount of oil in the plastic piping from the primary (passenger side) turbo to the IC or the turbo outlet. (The secondary piping often has oil pooled in it - this is where the blowby stuff tends to collect because the secondary doesn't get used much).

If there is oil in the primary outlet - your turbo seals are probably blown and it needs a replace/rebuild.

Cause ?  Just shitty maintenance / old age / blocked primary oil feed filter, or maybe the banjo restriction has been screwed with and the primary was running with too much oil pressure.

ps: you don't have a dodgy catch-can installation that's been done wrong, do you?

#6 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

Honestly i have no idea what any of it is being turbo as ive never wotked on a turbo engine before im new to turbo ibe just dropped it at my mechanics to see what he says

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

lucky for you Jim's just put a big effort into cleaning up this:

http://www.subyclub....-to-twin-turbo/

Good time to start some reading.

#8 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Thanks mate my mechanic has told me bith turbo need rwbuilding and 2 rockwr cover gaskets and left cam seal

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Of course he would. That's a load of shit!

Ask him how he knows both turbos are shot.

#10 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

I'm calling bullshit.

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

Wot Kong says! also you'll find you can probably source 2 second hand turbos cheaper than a rebuild. Either locally or via yahoo JP: http://buyee.jp/item...tion/o147008381

If he's going to do cam seals - make sure he pulls out that primary oil feed filter and gives it a clean (it can only be accessed after the cam sprocket's taken off).

#12 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Oil on dumps from rocker cover causing smoke and an underlying TT system issue.  You also mentioned in your other post a bit more information about the car & as I said in that post, find out what your engine codes are.

No way I'd commit to getting this mechanic to fix it because I guarantee he won't be able to and will charge you thousands of dollars for his attempt.

Was the car running like shit when you bought it or is this something that has happened since you've owned it?

#13 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

It was running alot better when i 1st got it but not the way it should have ran im gonna get a second opinion on it

#14 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

I'd wager any mechanic you take it to will have the opinion it's the turbos and I wouldn't blame them for thinking it is.

They'd go.........

1) Turbo car

2) Not running properly.

3) Turbos are knackered.

4) Profit $$$$.

There are so many things that can affect the performance of a TT.  Problem finding can be a long and arduous mission and if you have no idea how the system works or the order in which to start testing things (which most mechanics don't) you've got next to no chance fixing it unless it's something simple like a vac leak, incorrect plumbing, a dud sensor or solenoid.

Again, you need to get a mechanic or someone with a scanner to clear the trouble codes, find out which fresh codes appear and report back to us..... that's if the car is still driveable. Supercheap auto stores will do this for around $20.

#15 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:08 AM

Ok mate thanks heaps i will do that tomorrow and let you know if your close enough to my locarion maybe even work something out gibe you some $$$ to have a look you seem to know a lot about them

#16 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

So my mechanics quoted me 5800$ for everything to be done on it im pivking it up tomorrrow and ill find out why the engine lights on im gonna take it somewhere else cause that cant be right

#17 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Wow! There's a decimal point error there :-)

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#18 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

b4635efe2b2bec231e0d7d959fb0c52f_meme-ce

Could buy another B4 for that much!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#19 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

Thats right im thinking about another second hand motor with the turbos you can get them with under 100k for 1800

#20 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hahaha OMG!

I think that's the mechanics way of saying they really don't want to work on your car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users