Thanks

CHris

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

G'day Chris.

You can fit an L series 5 speed box. A few things:

- get a box from a carb'd EA82. These will have the same diff output stub so no need to change/modify drive shafts. MPFI (EFI) have larger diff stubs the same as the EJ models.

- you will need the pedal box to mate the L series clutch pedal to the MY. I can't remember which way it is done.

- you will need the L series clutch cable

- you will need the L series two piece tail shaft and make a centre bearing mount or have a custom tail shaft made up.

- gear linkages from the L series required - and the L series console if you don't want to mod the MY 4wd lever.

- gear box mounts are a little different too. I've heard of people turning one L series mount plate upside down on one side does the job, on the other side a custom setup is devised.

- make sure the new box is 3.7 and that your rear diff is the same, no need to replace the rear diff then.

- you can run the EA82 flywheel but your timing marks will not be in the correct place. Or you can machine down the step in the MY flywheel and use all EA82 clutch parts. You MUST have the flywheel with the larger MY clutch setup to do this. Early MY gear had a smaller clutch diametre.

- starter motor may need to be spaced backwards a mm or two. Some use a washer between the bell housing and the starter on each mounting bolt. Others have a spacer plate made up.

I think that's about it. More details on Ausubaru or the USMB. If you need any.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users