• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbv20j

sbv20j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hi I am looking for feedback and common issues on gen5 GT Liberty's looking at purchasing one in the near future
is there any major differences between years looking at 2010 model

thanks in advance

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Hi I am looking for feedback and common issues on gen5 GT Liberty's looking at purchasing one in the near future
is there any major differences between years looking at 2010 model

thanks in advance

I've had two and absolutely love them!

First was a manual sedan with 170k km. Clutch had been done just prior to me buying it but I don't know if it actually needed it. Previous owner had it done because the service centre suggested it be done around 165k km.

Current car is an auto wagon with 130k km. Only sold the sedan and bought the wagon because wife fell pregnant with child #2.

Rear seats have stacks of leg room - so much more than the Gen 4. Boot is well sized in the wagon and a bit dicky in the sedan.

Front suspension bushes have been a bit clunky on both cars but they are a disposable part and easily replaced.

For the money, I reckon they are a fantastic bang for buck car. Proximity keys, push button start, leather, sunroof, sat nav, Bluetooth, HIDs, 18" alloys, Bilsteins, etc.
My wagon came with optional window visors and a mesh grille which was a bonus.

Both of mine have had a full service history with log books and well looked after in general. Key fobs would be expensive to replace so I made sure both had two sets.

Definitely go for it!

e7e0ba1e53861026f4a061440a90978c.jpg

3611b1906e69ef55887a363b7545fe9a.jpg

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

common issues

Gen V Gt subys tend to blow head gaskets a bit more than normal. See list:

http://legacygt.com/...t-255946p3.html

Myself included (mine had full dealer servicing before I bought it). Still ended up with un-diagnosed early signs of a blown head gasket.

So it is a must to drive the car up a hill and at highway speeds, then jump out of the car and look for bubbles in the coolant overflow bottle.

Apart from that, the suspension components might be tired as mentioned, but not a big deal to refresh them.

But don't let that put you off, just put aside $2k from your budget for any potential issues.

Great car if you price it with those things in mind. Plenty of parts from the 2014+ WRX will fit. And from other models.

ECU is easily tune-able.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users