6 replies to this topic

#1 RoVey_1

RoVey_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Bratatatatata

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

I recently got my P plates and brought a 2000 2.0L Impreza RS-X i understand it isnt the quickest car off the block but i love the boxers. What would a few good mods to start off with besides general maintenance. The ones I've planned to get first are:

1. Exhaust (some 3 inch catback)

2. Headlights and spoiler

3.Of course stickers

Anyway, whats some good p plate legal mods (NSW) that add a bit more hp or grunt to her.

Cheers

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Anyway, whats some good p plate legal mods (NSW) that add a bit more hp or grunt to her.

Cheers

There arent any. Getting power out of an NA subaru is pretty much pointless. They just done make power I hate to say. 

As for the exhaust stick to a 2.25". A 3" will make it sound like a wet fart and lose precious back pressure (or whatever it is that makes an NA exhaust work) so youll make things worse. 

Might want to look into some Un equal length headers too. Theyre what make the subaru noise. NA EJ with stock headers sound pretty bland

tIeW8DE.png

#3 RoVey_1

RoVey_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

There arent any. Getting power out of an NA subaru is pretty much pointless. They just done make power I hate to say. 

As for the exhaust stick to a 2.25". A 3" will make it sound like a wet fart and lose precious back pressure (or whatever it is that makes an NA exhaust work) so youll make things worse. 

Might want to look into some Un equal length headers too. Theyre what make the subaru noise. NA EJ with stock headers sound pretty bland

Yea i thought that would might be the case. You reckon a 2.25" will make much of a significant improvement from stock? How much do headers cost if a mechanic does it?

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Yea i thought that would might be the case. You reckon a 2.25" will make much of a significant improvement from stock? How much do headers cost if a mechanic does it?

It will add noise. No power to be gained that you will notice. 

Would probably be a few hundred bucks for a mechanic to change headers. Its pretty straight forward and a good starting point to learn how to work on your own car though :)

tIeW8DE.png

#5 RoVey_1

RoVey_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

It will add noise. No power to be gained that you will notice. 

Would probably be a few hundred bucks for a mechanic to change headers. Its pretty straight forward and a good starting point to learn how to work on your own car though :)

yea ill see because i dont want to go to the trouble of doing the exhuast if it wont be significantly louder, looks pretty straight forward and should be pretty easy with a boxer aye 

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Exhaust loudness is also achieved through muffler type etc.

A good exhaust shop will be able to recommend something that'll work well in your vehicle.

Or you could try a straight pipe in replacement for the rear muffler to begin with and see how loud that is.  Might drone at cruise though.

I've got a 2.25 inch exhaust on my EJ22, part of me loves it and another part of me thinks a 2 inch exhaust would've been better.  You don't want to lose the cylinder scavenging effect by putting an exhaust on that's too large, this will drop fuel economy and performance.

I'm waiting for someone to say "save your coin while on your P's then get a WRX conversion on the go/buy a WRX after your Ps".

All the best.

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#7 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip