Photo

Best way to clean the engine while its out and apart?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ilogical

Ilogical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hey all, know its probably been said before a number of times but hey. So I bought a 99 Impreza WRX off a couple of panel beaters and they had already pulled the engine out and basically apart. So i have 2 questions, 1st is there anywhere I can get a repair book like a Haynes mechanical or something of similarity (as Repco and the sort said there isn't a Haynes one)? And 2nd while the engine is out and basically apart what is the best way to clean it all off and get it ready for the overhaul I am about to in-bark on?

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

If you're DIYing, I clean my engine bits in petrol.  Not good for your skin and definitely do not smoke or have the wood heater going in the shed!

I tend to try and give everything a good degreaser and gerni treatment before pulling it all apart.

Physical scrubbing will be needed for high grime areas/bits

Spraying WD40 all over the bits and leaving them to soak over night can help too.

If you're getting work done at engine shops you can ask to have your parts cleaned - also a good time to paint if you're doing this.  Shops will appreciate some cleaning work prior to dropping off of your parts ;)

I'm sure there's many ways to skin a cat too ;)

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Ilogical

Ilogical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Cheers for that. Petrol has been the way I've been going so far but I'm gonna hit it with a new brush and new petrol to get the excess off. The block itself isn't to bad but obviously where grease and grime sits and hasn't got anywhere to go its a bit worse off. A toothbrush was the way o want but is there an easier way to get the block cleaned with out spending loads of $$$ cause its really just a project for the next few months and something to strive towards so I want to do as much by myself but I guess the big jobs I'll have to send out. Cheers again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users