• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DFEKT

DFEKT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hey SC crew, so I'm almost due to take my car in and get some things serviced and looking at a couple of upgrades/changes whilst I'm at it.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on lightweight pulley kits and their effectiveness/worthiness?
Also port matching and polishing on intake manifold - worth it? Price range and people to do it?

I've got a 2000 GF8 RX Impreza.

Thanks in advance!

Ben.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

If I were you I'd save your money, cost vs benefit on a 2.0n/a is just not there.

To port match correctly you need to remove the heads as material may need to be removed from the inlets to match the manifold, so it wont be cheap. Port matching is usually done when chasing every last bit of horsepower, the gains on a standard engine will be barely noticed. The same goes for the pulleys.

Just get a set of headers and some sort of sport exhaust. If won't give you any more power but it will sharpen the throttle response a little and will have a better tail pipe note.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 DFEKT

DFEKT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

If I were you I'd save your money, cost vs benefit on a 2.0n/a is just not there.

To port match correctly you need to remove the heads as material may need to be removed from the inlets to match the manifold, so it wont be cheap. Port matching is usually done when chasing every last bit of horsepower, the gains on a standard engine will be barely noticed. The same goes for the pulleys.

Just get a set of headers and some sort of sport exhaust. If won't give you any more power but it will sharpen the throttle response a little and will have a better tail pipe note.

Fair call man, thanks!

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Have to say that on the FA20 in the BRZ alot of blokes chase power while staying NA. It's a lot newer engine etc, but even then there is little gain from lightweight pulleys, other than some reports of perceived throttle response.

Most blokes go headers + tune.

It'll never be fast in a straight line without boost, but try to upgrade the suspension to be able to keep up speed in corners.

#5 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Have to say that on the FA20 in the BRZ alot of blokes chase power while staying NA. It's a lot newer engine etc, but even then there is little gain from lightweight pulleys, other than some reports of perceived throttle response.

Most blokes go headers + tune.

It'll never be fast in a straight line without boost, but try to upgrade the suspension to be able to keep up speed in corners.

Both these chaps know what they're talking about!

When we were kids, I warned them not to pursue mods like the ones you mentioned.  They completely ignored my expertise & spent thousands chasing unattainable power increases.  Years later, they are both still still driving N/A Subies and crying daily how they can't afford Turbo power.

Niko spends most days in counselling and JaseRX25SE has to frequently go bush to escape the demons of his past mistakes and control his anger issues.

If only they listened. 

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Yup.

2000 impreza. 17 years old.

Your best upgrade mods would be to replace all the suspension bushes, front and back (few hundred bucks plus labour).  Make sure the shocks and springs are ok (or replace) and upgrade swaybars.

Make sure you've got a decent set of tyres, too.

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

If only they listened. 

At least I added a couple of cylinders!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#8 DFEKT

DFEKT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

All fair points thanks guys! I'm realistic, i was never looking at any huge gains, as I know theyre not likely, mostly just tighter throttle response I guess. Took me so long to get my license and now the bug has bitten. Truly a mechanics son in the end though, so eventually ill probably upgrade/change most things that, even if they have little to no gain, at the very least will give me something to tinker with and not lose any power haha.

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

I must admit -- better throttle response would be a win in my books for the NA EJ.

I always thought my EJ25 had a slow and elastic pick up. Torquey, but lazy.

#10 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

If youre after a underdrive/light weight crank pulley ive got one for sells :)

tIeW8DE.png

#11 DFEKT

DFEKT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

If youre after a underdrive/light weight crank pulley ive got one for sells :)

Pics and price?

#12 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Pics and price?