• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

I've installed my FMIC bolt on kit from Blitz before and changed the air intake to a closed pod filter but my issue was that it drove terribly. There was no power, my boost gauge was moving like it should (in terms of reaction to how much acceleration I used) but the drive was so rough ...

I'm just wondering, was my air intake being choked and was not getting enough air to my MAF sensor? Or did I install something wrong?? Am I missing something?? I'm quite new to modding myself and I just needed some advice for when I attempt to reinstall it again. 

Here's a picture of what I mean

http://i.imgur.com/xegNWT8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YJ8lKew.jpg

Thanks everyone!

MY01 Subaru Liberty B4 Tuned by Kido Racing

Body mods - JDM Front flairs and centre piece, STi rear spoiler

To Be Fitted: Blitz Front Mount Intercooler Assembly. (Wasn't cheap!)

Sequential twins are fun, nothing like letting your guard down then getting a swift kick in the arse at high revs.

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Wheres the MAF sensor? Is there somewhere it bolts onto on your intake? Can't see it

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

Didn't realise that picture didn't have it, it was a little bit before the bend in the new air intake pipe

Initially, I installed it the wrong way and it would start then die, flipping it around fixed this... Don't know if that gives you more info.

Sequential twins are fun, nothing like letting your guard down then getting a swift kick in the arse at high revs.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

More than likely the MAF's been thrown off by the different flow around it.

Time for a tickle-up tune or go back to the stock intake.

#5 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

I thought it might had something to do with the MAF and air intake , it sucks that this bolt on kit requires the removal of the stock intake and replaced with their open pod filter. Is there any bolt on pipework I can acquire for this model? As it is, it looks like there's little room to play with.... Maybe I need to custom build the pipework or use an open pod filter... But would using an open filter actually fix this issue?

I can get a retune afterwards once it's done by Kido

#6 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

Clean the MAF and reset the ECU.

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#7 Mr Legacy

Mr Legacy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

I've installed my FMIC bolt on kit from Blitz before and changed the air intake to a closed pod filter but my issue was that it drove terribly. There was no power, my boost gauge was moving like it should (in terms of reaction to how much acceleration I used) but the drive was so rough ...

I'm just wondering, was my air intake being choked and was not getting enough air to my MAF sensor? Or did I install something wrong?? Am I missing something?? I'm quite new to modding myself and I just needed some advice for when I attempt to reinstall it again. 

Here's a picture of what I mean

http://i.imgur.com/xegNWT8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YJ8lKew.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Have you still got you MAF in the intake? Double checked all piping connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

Have you still got you MAF in the intake? Double checked all piping connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've since reverted back to the top mount for now as I had no car but everything seemed to be ok. But i'm just wondering if the closed pod filter was being choked for air causing this issue? In the photo, you can see it's up into the side wall with only a little bit of room.

#9 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

You can run those filters without the top cover shield. That will show if you have restriction/choking.

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#10 sintx3

sintx3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

Have a look at some of the wrx intake kits that put the pod in the front fender. I have a 2002 B4 and was working on a 2002 bugeye wrx and noticed the intake holes in the side of the engine bay are relatively the same as the B4 so its possible one of those will fit theirs thousands to choose from. I would love one of those Blitz front mount kits but im thinking ill put my money towards a single turbo setup first maybe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users