• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hey guys, the swaybar links in my newly acquired impreza need replacing. I have found some heavy duty Whiteline links for a decent price so am going to get those, i was wondering if it would be worthwhile upgrading the swaybar while the work was being done. Will upgrading the front swaybar require much extra labour? And would it be much of an upgrade in handling just getting the front whiteline swaybar installed?

thanks alot for any advice

#2 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

Always worth upgrading swaybars. I'd have gone rear before doing front but up to you. 

You may find GD STi and WRX bars will be a cheaper upgrade if the fit, as they are normally a bit thicker than the base models swaybars.

#3 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

I had a strong feeling the rear would provide better handling, i just figured while we were already down the front end pulling things apart, i would see if it was worthwhile doing the front swaybar on top of doing the links.. cheers

#4 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Also, what is the difference in sizing when it comes to the size of the swaybar? i've noticed there is 22mm, 24mm, and 27mm for sale?

#5 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

Bigger = stiffer and ergo harsher.

Prison rules.

#6 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

cheers Niko mate,so you reckon the wrx ones would be a worthwhile upgrade on stock.. thats good to know and makes sense for sure.. i'm guessing at the price i could score some after a wrx owner upgrades theirs would be the best way to go seeing as though i'm never going to be really making the most out of a top set of swaybars with the lack of power my car has. Legend!

#7 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:12 AM

So, if i was to get my hands on other WRX parts ie: a 2005 WRX air box, would that bolt right in and also be an upgrade from the factory one in my 2003 2.0l n/a impreza?

#8 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

No idea. Probs not. Chassis wise parts are interchangeable, but when it comes to the engine bay not much swaps over.

#9 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

So, if i was to get my hands on other WRX parts ie: a 2005 WRX air box, would that bolt right in and also be an upgrade from the factory one in my 2003 2.0l n/a impreza?

Turbo air boxes face a different direction to NA ones and wouldnt make a difference anyway. Stick to suspension and brakes.

As for WRX swaybars the front probably wont fit as they are designed around the turbo exhaust manifold. Best to stick with NA style bars in the front. As for the rear they might fit but WRXs sedans and STIs especially have a wider track so the narrower bars might not fit.

WRX wagons are the same width as NA so thats your best bet. 

If you havent already bought the front swaybar get a rear one first. A big front swaybar with stock rear tends to induce a lot of understeer

tIeW8DE.png

#10 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

Alrighty no worries, after hearing wrx swaybars would fit in i found a guy selling swaybars and the airbox for a decent price and got a bit excited. The WRX air box has got a bigger mouth piece so i just gathered it would definitely

be a better unit... i'll do some more research on the sway bars and try find a definitive answer on what will fit.. cheers for the infos guys

#11 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

Subaru air boxes arent a restriction anyway. Bigger also doesnt always mean better. Smaller diameter means more air speed and better low end torque on an NA. Not that youll notice it

tIeW8DE.png

#12 Tebble Maddaye

Tebble Maddaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Cheers for all the info Barbbachello !

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Rough rule with sway bars, the stiffer you go the more grip you lose at that end. Eg if your car is a bit understeerish, a thinner bar on the front will give it more grip. The same effect if fitting a thicker rear bar.

As an example, GenIII B4 has a thinner front and a thicker rear bar than a GenIII RX. This is one reason why they understeer less and turn in better.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users