• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

Going to start putting some work in the rx. thought i would put it in here just for a reference later down the track. . .
Car model/year:2000 2liter/ej201 rx impreza wagon
Details on the car: paid $1000 for her a few weeks ago with 7 months rego. Car is pretty straight with only minor dints apart from a crack in front bar. But has alot of work to be done. As its covered in dodgey home jobs to list a few. Headlights and taillights have been painted in black and white-out (yeah the shit you used to erase pen back in school) rims painted in a non-heat paint (black) and most likely not prep'd before painting (so obviously flaking). Patches of silver pressure pack spray. On guards/bumpers/inside engine bay. The roof of the wagon has been sprayed black once again without the required prep so up close looks horrible and sure it'll start to flake/crack soon. Home job window tint rough as guts when up close but even funnier i shit you not these young fellas run out of tint and decided to use their left over roof and wheel black paint to paint the patches of the window where they had no tint fully sick ( ooo to be young and dumb). Of course no young fellas car would be complete without spraying the air vents and other plastics inside the car. In this case they went yellow 😁 once again looks to be no prep involved as a quick close up look reveals they have painted right over dust. Runs all thorough it and silicon everywhere. Put some fake little diamonds/stones around the mirror control must have been his misses input. And theres other little things that you expect when buying a car like this from young blokes like the painted wipers and stuff but thats basically all the main stuff I've covered.
reason for buying: seen it there getting mistreated and thought it would be good to pick it up. And fix it up with the younger brother to teach him abit about cars. Unfortunately i probably should have chosen something i was use to. As i had no idea an engine swap would be so much bloody drama due to the ecu. .but none the less we have it now. And being the 1st 4 cylinder I've worked on should be some fun

#2 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

Some photos off her and in photos or from a distance she doesn't look to bad its when you get up close the tears start to come

Attached Files

#3 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

So plan for her. .well she needs a name haven't found one yet. .but mod wise. .I'm starting the brother off with the basics. We re-did the filters last weekend, fuel,air,oil and oil change obviously as she was having abit a fuel trouble, was a good 1st step as the brother hadn't changed oil or filters on a car before. Gave the engine bay a quick proper clean .plan is to restore it (get it running and looking right) and then go from there. .so got new lines and hoses coming this week as theres a slight leak in the radiator hose going to do all the hose's as they have seen better days. .clutch is slipping so will be replacing that. Gearbox seems ok but gears feel abit loose so might look into that. Got coilovers on the way and will be putting them in. Followed by a replacement set off swaybars as she feels abit sloppy in some bends . .from there we will be moving onto looks. Start out by repairing any and all damage on panels and showing him how to repair a bumper bar as the front is cracked. Now i wanted to go the respray route but he has found a wrap and wants to go with that (I'm not to sure as of yet I'm personally not to keen on wraping it. As i don't have much experience using them. But we will see as i guess thats what this project is all about just learning abit and having some fun i do rather a good paint job tho. And might even have to give her a respray for the wrap to hold well/right) from there we will move onto the inside of the car and replace the door trims as they are worn. A few plastics and leave the inside standards and comfy maybe a little stereo to keep him happy but nothing to over the top. .once thats all said and done and shes looking right we have the motor to deal with being a ej201 there's not alot we can really do for power and any engine swap to the impreza seems to need ecu change and since the plan is for us to be doing all the work the wiring that requires hurts just thinking about it. So the plan at the moment is to run a supercharger setup which i would be able to install without to much hassle and once again be a good learning experience for him. The gains aren't the best when factoring cost but will give her abit more go and can be done pretty easily at home. .from there it'll just be minor touches to the look of the ride. Rims,bodykit,lights, and so forth

#4 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Few photos to show how much difference little things like a clean engine makes look wise. but imo the best thing about spending some time to clean up your engine is if you do have a leak/get a leak its clean and easy to tell where your leak is coming from plus spending a little time cleaning it you'll also notice any slight issues,cracks in lines,plastic clips for wires and so on . Also any grease and oil covering your engine will hold and help heat build-up (obviously not really a issue on something like this but still the cleaner the better imo)

Attached Files

#5 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

Noice work.

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Good stuff mate. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you!

With the engine, you should be able to drop an EJ22 long engine in and run your intake manifold on it. This will increase your capacity and the ECU should remain happily running it without issue. A mate of mine did the same with his 2L foz.

That could be something worth looking into. It'll drop straight in place. Subarus are Lego like that ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#7 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hey thanks guys. .bennie i hadn't actually thought of that might have to have a look into it . .but being that the ej22's are abit harder to find and with running the same intake would/did it make much difference or did he just put the ej22 longblock in because his was going and thats what he had on hand? And i wonder if it had to be a pre 97 ej22. Because I've heard they reshaped the intake manifold on the 2.2 after 97? Any futher info would be great mate. .but either way if your not to sure I'll defiantly look into it as to weather or not it'll be worth doing. I guess if i was to change going up to the 2.2 could only be better in the long run. But if theres not much room for power improvement there its probably not worth doing if the current ej20 holds. But once again thanks it gives me something else to look into.
Cheers
Al

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

I dont think we got a phase 2 EJ22 here in Australia. Youd have to swap your heads and manifold on to make it "work". Not worth the effort.

tIeW8DE.png

#9 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

I think his ej22 swap was a running engine but not privvy to that until I ask him ;)

I do know he used an EJ22e which is from the Gen1 liberty and he dropped it into his '97 SF foz.

Side note: the Gen2 EJ22 had changed head design with roller rockers instead of hla's.

I didn't know about the change in the intake pattern with the era of your ej20, I'm guessing this comes with further head design changes.

Probably still worth looking into if you pop a HG if that's what needs to be done to fit your intake manifold to an EJ22.

Anyway. Ways and means if you really want to go that way.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users