• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldguy

oldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hi all,Im researching an issue for my son who has just acquired a Forester GT,cant tell you year but can find out if neccessary. The issue revolves around sloppy and dangerous steering,the most simple description of the issue is that there is a significant time delay between the action at the steering wheel and the vehicle doing what it is meant to do,eg,you turn the steering wheel and little to nothing will happen,then all of a sudden it decides to acknowledge your request and will start to turn,this happens no matter which direction you turn,car is downright deadly and dangerous,anyone got any bright ideas please!

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Have you investigated this with the front end jacked up on stands?

First place to go to. You'll be able to find any slop in the system and be able to pin point it.

In my mind it sounds like a really dodgy alignment where steering effect only really takes hold once a transfer of weight from one side to another occurs, loading up the outer wheel and allowing it to grip.

Start by jacking up the front end and checking the steering for any play. Sort that out with new components if needed. If all is good there take it to a reputable wheel alignment place and you should see a huge difference in handling once it's corrected. Or it'll come back with a report that suspension bushes are shot or something of the like. These are also worth checking out while the front is in the air.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

any slop when sitting still with the engine off ? If so, find where it is in the chain (wheel, column, universal, stub to rack, rack, tie rods.

#4 oldguy

oldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Thanks,have not got down to tin tacks yet as it is with my son in Ballarat and I am in Melbourne. Went in for a rwc and failed with this among other reasons,thought if it was an obvious mechanical issue tester would have commented but he didnt apparently,will start to check it out and see what we find,just thought would ask as may have been a common fault for me to check out.

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I think mechanically it boils down to one of the following:

- slipping steering rack (mounts loose)

- sloppy tie rod end(s)

- slop in UJ or splines

- slop in rack

or maybe a  secondary problem like shot front suspension bushes.

#6 oldguy

oldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

Ok,hi again,sorry for the delay but dependant on my son to forward info before I can post/comment. The most recent contact has supplied the following information,"it is better when you fill the fluid"! So my thinking is that as there is obviously a leak of some sort if the fluid needs to be filled and if it is better but still not good I am assuming that the leak may be causing a drop of pressure in the system causing the sloppyness,would people generally tend to agree with this?

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

No.  The power steering fluid should not be a reason for sloppy steering.  It simply makes the steering easier than it is without it.

It could be that there is no problem - what your son was describing was the PS getting fluid for assistance then getting a bit of air or airated fluid that doesn't do the same thing as fluid only.

Somewhere like Peddars should be able to pin point all the issues if there are any physical ones.

Let us know how it's going or if there are any updates (almost a month after your last post).

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users