• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlackB4RSK

BlackB4RSK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:07 AM

Attached File  20140628_151433.jpg   135.96KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20140628_151422.jpg   162.03KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20140628_151456.jpg   129.82KB   1 downloads

Good day,

I have almost concluded a RHD to LHD conversion on a 2003 Legacy B4. One item still bugs me however and I was hoping someone might be able to steer me (excuse the pun) in the direction of where I might be able to find a suitable LHD steering rack.

The original RHD version had a speed regulator on the neck of the connection to universal joint. I imagine what it does it proportion the amount of fluid that goes into the steering rack, more at low speed less at high speed. I cant seem to find its LHD equivalent despite several web searches. I dont know if Impreza WRX or STI might be an option If I could find one. Maybe I could change out the link arms to match my car.

Now there is a signal line that I cant connect and it shows up as a steering error on my dashboard.

Any help would be appreciated. Pictures of old rack attached

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Dont think they made the sporty steering to suit a LHD unfortunately. Best bet would be a wrx from a similar era

tIeW8DE.png

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

For the error - the ECU is probably just sensing the (missing) load on the solenoid drive. Try measuring the resistance of the old rack solenoid - I'm guessing a hundred ohms or so.

Stick a similar resistor across the two wires coming from the ECU (that plugged into the solenoid).  Should make the sads go away.

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

This could be a long shot - is it possible to swap the "neck" of the input shaft to the steering rack onto the LHS rack?

You would need to ensure that the rack is the same ratio as the worm gear on the bottom of the input shaft as this will need to correctly mesh in with the other gear device on the rack.

Looking at your pics you'll have to remove the solenoid in question and then access the allen key head bolts to remove this neck part. The issue could be that the solenoid will be on the wrong side of the neck when fitted to the LHS rack if they've mirrored the bolting pattern.  If the bolting pattern has been correctly orientated on the LHS rack I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I hope that all makes sense.

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#5 BlackB4RSK

BlackB4RSK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for your replies. I tried the neck swap and the Legacy SW rack I had was not compatible. the gearing and the rack body were not interchangeable. I will keep looking out to see if a WRX rack might be more feasible. Im mighty surprised that the same era Impreza never came with the same sort of rack.

#6 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for your replies. I tried the neck swap and the Legacy SW rack I had was not compatible. the gearing and the rack body were not interchangeable. I will keep looking out to see if a WRX rack might be more feasible. Im mighty surprised that the same era Impreza never came with the same sort of rack.

Different style of car. WRX is sporty and sharp

Legacy is meant to be a GT touring car

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users