7 replies to this topic

#1 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

I have a coolant leak on my twin turbo and somehow I can find it. Is there any schematics on where all the coolant hoses are on the Bh5?

I notice steam from the left side and a bit coming through the intercooler top mount opening but from some reason I cant find where the tiny leak is that I’m smelling every time I drive the car.

I had a “overheating problem” before so water pump change, radiator hoses change out to silicone and the coolant hose to the primary turbo also change
I’ll appreciate any help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:15 AM

Don't know if there's a diagram of all hoses -- but I'm pretty sure there's only the primary turbo coolant feed and return, throttle body, and heater-core hoses back there.

Maybe they goofed the primary turbo hose installation.

Steam (rather than water drips), especially after stopping, may suggest its the primary turbo return to the header tank that's the culprit.

Get in there with a dental mirror and a torch while the engine's hot - or whip off the intercooler and idle the engine for a while.

#3 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:06 AM

Found the leak. The mechanic said he may have to drop the gearbox to get behind there. So for now water in the radiator is my friend. Planning on getting a new clutch and a lightened flywheel one time for the surgery. Attached File  IMG_8367.JPG   94.98KB   4 downloads
He said it’s the elbow shape hose that swells when pressure applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 01OBK

01OBK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Would probably be easier to just pull the turbo off.

#5 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:44 AM

Would probably be easier to just pull the turbo off.

Interesting, why my mechanic didn't thought of that. He said either the engine out or drop the gearbox. I was telling him to drop the gearbox so we can change the clutch the same time. But now I have an oil leak coming from behind there as well. So I might lift the engine out and have the water hose repair, the oil leak repair and new clutch one time....but the challenge is we haven't find Exactly where the oil leak is.
Its my daily driven car and I put in a quart of oil a week now. Smh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:47 AM

Attached File  IMG_2183.JPG   757.56KB   2 downloads

Parts came in from Jp-Carparts.com.
Attached File  IMG_2187.JPG   117.96KB   1 downloads
Going for this clutch kit shortly from eBay

And now to find out where the oil leak is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:39 AM

man - that's a big oil leak.

Is it the primary turbo area;  did the previous mechanic goof with the oil line installation, too?

Only other usual suspects should be pretty obvious - rear main seal (oil out of hole in bottom of bellhousing, easy to inspect for) or rocker covers (a bit harder to see, given the lack of space in the TT engine bay).

I wouldn't suspect rocker covers with that volume of oil being lost, sounds like loss on a pressurised portion of the plumbing.

Get the plastic sump guard off, pressure wash everything under there, then have a good look for new oil.

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:04 AM

For that amount oil, as Dync has said, rear main seal or primary/secondary oil return.

As for the coolant leak, check the throttle body warmer lines and the heater in/out hoses just under the intercooler.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users