Photo

Forester XT MY10 - Custom Tune with Engine Rebuild - car too old for that?

Engine Rebuild Tuning Forester XT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 machinedownunder

machinedownunder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hi All, 

I wanted to get some opinion from people with tuning experience on the 2.5l turbo engines (mine is a Forester XT MY10).

My Forester is 8 years old now and has clocked up about 185k. I had it since it was new, had all services done, always well maintained, etc. - so no issues with the car at all. I had a few tunes done over the past few years (ie. bigger turbo, suspension and brake upgrades, better sway bars, etc.). Really happy with the tune as it gives me 200kw at the wheels while having a lower fuel consumption when driving normally.

I'm now considering to keep the car for quite a few more years and taking it to the next level in terms of power output. The tuning shop said they would have to do a engine rebuild and custom tune to take it up to around 300kw at the wheels.

What I wanted to have people's feedback on:

Is that something I should still consider based on 185k mileage it already has or is that not an issue? If well maintained, how many km can you get out of that engine before it is getting too old - is it 300k? 400k?

I'm just trying to work out whether the car has too many km and is too old for such a tune and its not worth spending the money.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Thomas

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

If the engines been looked after the KMs mean nothing. However the EJ25 has custard pistons and generally unreliable head gasket. By rebuild i hope they mean forged bottom end not just new bearings and rings

For 300kw youd be wanting a built engine for sure. Forged rods and pistons with head studs at minimum. At that power youll start destroying a 5 speed gearbox as well if you drive it with any sort of roughness. 

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Really happy with the tune as it gives me 200kw at the wheels while having a lower fuel consumption when driving normally.

I'm now considering to keep the car for quite a few more years and taking it to the next level in terms of power output. The tuning shop said they would have to do a engine rebuild and custom tune to take it up to around 300kw at the wheels.

Seems contradictory, you are happy with it, and want to keep it for a few more years, then why try to wring its neck by squeezing out 300kw.

Also would you use all that power? 

There is an SH Forester with an MY12 STi swap on an American forum, maybe SubaruForester.org, that would be a good base for safe tuning.

#4 machinedownunder

machinedownunder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You are right Barbbachello, in that engine rebuild they would do everything that is required to be strengthened, so there is quite a bit too it (I don't understand a lot about engine internals, so can't comment beyond what the tuning shop explained me).

I was concerned about the gearbox too but apparently if you don't drive like crazy all the time then you should be fine. I mean I did ask them about an STI 6-Speed gearbox but that would be approx. another 14k just for that - which would be too much for my budget.

So yeah, not sure where where I will take this or stuff it and just buy a new STI all together. I do like the practicality of the Forester though, hence I'm a bit torn...

Cheers

Thomas

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

Certainly isnt 14k for a 6 speed unless they were going brand new, which is nuts. More around 5 with the rest of the bits you need. You have the benefit of not needing the older style box with the speedo drive so much easier to source

Where abouts are you located? If youre in NSW give Ichiban imports a call, if youre in QLD try Rising Sun Subaru, if youre in Vic try Gotitrex. Theyll point you in the right direction and can give you actual ideas on pricing for the work and parts. If the shop youve been speaking to isnt a subaru specific or at least subaru focused tuning shop I wouldnt go there. Subarus are finicky and you generally want absolute pros building your engine. 

Personally id go a bigger turbo (TD05 20G ish size), some injectors (1000cc), bigger intercooler, flex tune and leave it at around 250. Plenty for a street car and the 5 speed should hold together still.

tIeW8DE.png

#6 machinedownunder

machinedownunder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Barbbachello, I'm located in Norwest area of Sydney. Indeed the tuning shop is focused on Subarus and Mitsubishis, although these days they do a lot of other cars as well. The guys at Pulse Racing seem to know their stuff and Paul (the owner) especially has a Subaru background. They did give me the cheaper option of sticking with the standard engine parts, upgrading the turbo and with that they said this would max out at around 250kw at the wheels like you correctly said.

Maybe thats the smarter option, not sure. I think the 14k for the 6-speed gearbox was based on a full STI conversion with new parts.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Engine Rebuild, Tuning, Forester XT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users