• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys i need some help I've got a 99 impreza wagon sometimes has trouble starting (as in takes a few goes/cranks of the key) usally happening after the car has been sitting awhile overnight or all day. Once it starts it usually runs fine on idle sometime it may drop and need a few revs but will then sit fine. .but then put her in gear and drive. You get abrupt jerks. (Not sure but almost like its staving in petrol) revs drop i usually clutch it give a few revs release clutch and on my way till it happens again. .weird thing is usually after this happens a few times it'll run good for the rest of the trip. I thought it may just be one its cold but that's not the case i can leave the car to idle till it gets warm (have left it an hour before whole time sounding fine) get in goes fine get around the corner (jerk jerk runs well jerk jerk runs well untill it gets over it and it just runs fine till its left to sit again the next day after sitting all night) when its being used everyday it seems to get over it quicker like will only have two or 3 jerking spits before carrying out fine till its left again for hours. . .any ideas on what may be the issue??? Is it possible carbon build up is cursing this? Funny thing is i also own a 00rx wagon and have the same issue . Lent one to a mate he claims it drove fine the whole time he had it (week or two) any help woukd be great thanks

#2 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

Yeah that's weird.  I have a 97 Lib 2.5l N/A so how about I tell you what I've done to solve my problems which may help with yours:

1.  Changed the fuel filter as the local rescue service reckons most people forget to change them so it blocks up causing fuel starvation problems which can mimic like it has a dud fuel pump (that's another problem if it's a failing fuel pump but first change the filter as it's a heck of a lot cheaper).

2.  Dirty injectors so put injector cleaner from any speed shop in the fuel to give the injectors a bit of a clean.

3.  Hard to start when hot then later would not start when hot which is the crank angle sensor gone bad.  I replaced both crank and cam angle sensor and it fixed that problem instantly.

4.  Been advised on this forum the knock sensor can crack its housing and pretty much fail.  Replaced mine as it was a possibility.

4.  My lib has a Mass Air Flow Sensor on the inlet for fuel metering so worth giving that a very careful clean.  Do not touch the guts of it even with cotton swabs as it's very easy to break the platinum wire and its very expensive to replace.  I cleaned mine with spray on goop bought from JayCar.  On this forum they all swear by Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner (UEC) which I believe is a foam type treatment to squirt into the vacuum lines of the car.

5.  I haven't cleaned the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve yet as mine is operative but if it doesn't work nice then it can cause strange behaviour.

Food for thought with your issues, hope it helps.

PS. I bought all my bits & bobs for my Lib off eBay & saved a heap of $ as compared to... ah... sourcing the parts locally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users