Bit of telfon tape will help.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#62 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

So I've heard some R160's came with a Suretrac centre and that this can be retro-fitted into an existing diff to keep the right ratio.

Has any one heard of this being done, or have more info? Might be a future improvement I do.

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#63 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

So I've heard some R160's came with a Suretrac centre and that this can be retro-fitted into an existing diff to keep the right ratio.

Has any one heard of this being done, or have more info? Might be a future improvement I do.

You take take the crown wheels off both centres and swap them over. Can affect the preload on the diff. People say just keep the shims where you find them but personally id find the right diff or get a diff shop to redo the preload

tIeW8DE.png

#64 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Diffs aren't that hard to work out.  I've heard of many people doing the shim trick without any issues.

The rear diff would be easy to set up as you can look at the settings in the grease as you rotate the crown/pinion, unlike the gearbox where you have to rotate the diff, split the box, check, clean apply more grease, bolt cases up, adjust, rotate, split case, check...  PITA!!!

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#65 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Right,

So I got the gearbox in a week or so ago. It's fantastic. Smooth gear changes and no weird noises. I feel like the close ratios are better suited to where my primary and secondary power bands are. Primary for casual driving and secondary for more aggression. I ended up using the clutch fork from the 6 speed (which I thought was wrong but the 5 speed one would have left my clutch slipping). I'll post some photos and write ups when I get the car rego'd later this week.

Sadly, my reverse lights don't work. Tracked it back to the switch on the box which is on top of the box with no room around it, so I've had to pull half the crap off again to get anywhere near it and even then it was a major pain in the neck. In the end I modified a cheap socket to be able to get at it (photos to follow). Going to put the sensor from my blown 5 speed in to it.

Question, I have a collection of 3 gearboxes, is worth trying to make one working gearbox out of them all, or potentially sell parts out of them?

One with no centre diff and noisy transfer bearings.

Another one with shot front diff bearing (originally I blew the centre diff and replaced it with the one from the first box only for the bearing then to fail due to stray metal getting into it).

Final one with a tooth off second gear.

These gearboxes are sitting on the top shelf of my garage and I want to get rid of them. Don't ask me how I ever lifted them up there as it was a really dumb idea to put 60 odd kilos of unbalanced weight above my head in the first place.

#66 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Definitely pull one box apart for a play!

I'm sure you could sell parts from the gearboxes or complete/incomplete boxes. You might find the right buyer that makes it easy or you might end up using a lot of your time for no real gain. It really depends on who wants what and how little they'll be willing to pay. It also depends on what the boxes are. I'm guessing dual range phase two boxes going by your outback. I'd be keen on a box if I were closer and not in semi retirement ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#67 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Definitely pull one box apart for a play!

I'm sure you could sell parts from the gearboxes or complete/incomplete boxes. You might find the right buyer that makes it easy or you might end up using a lot of your time for no real gain. It really depends on who wants what and how little they'll be willing to pay. It also depends on what the boxes are. I'm guessing dual range phase two boxes going by your outback. I'd be keen on a box if I were closer and not in semi retirement ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Already pulled enough of these boxes apart before, no need for anymore "play", haha  :nea:

No dual range boxes sadly. All 4.11 ratio. 2 B4 boxes and 1 WRX box. What outback? I don't have a outback?

#68 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Sadly, my reverse lights don't work. Tracked it back to the switch on the box which is on top of the box with no room around it, so I've had to pull half the crap off again to get anywhere near it and even then it was a major pain in the neck. In the end I modified a cheap socket to be able to get at it (photos to follow). Going to put the sensor from my blown 5 speed in to it.

Bit late, but could of used a 19mm crows foot and some random extensions like;

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27418&p=441480 

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#69 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

What outback? I don't have a outback?

Hehe... :oops:

For some reason I got your ride mixed up with Duncanm's. Sorry!

I also didn't recall if you'd played with gearboxes before, I always encourage others to open them up and have a look at the very least ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#70 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Something to make the process a bit cheaper, I seem to remember that if you keep the 5spd starter, fly and clutch assembly, you can use them as a set. If you change one part of the set, you need to change them all. But otherwise you can keep all gen 3 stuff and it will work.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#71 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

Something to make the process a bit cheaper, I seem to remember that if you keep the 5spd starter, fly and clutch assembly, you can use them as a set. If you change one part of the set, you need to change them all. But otherwise you can keep all gen 3 stuff and it will work.

Cheers,
Ben

- I did keep the 5 speed fly, clutch and starter. Had to use the 6 speed clutch fork though which is contrary to other people's experiences.

I should be able to get to the write up soon. Just been very busy and had to get the car ready for rego. It needed a new steering rack end. The left side was complete shot with close to a centimetre of play!

#72 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Nah using 6 speed fork with 5 speed everything else is normal

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users