RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gaming.....

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Sup guys,

Been a while since I’ve been on this forum and a while since I’ve owned a suby. I’ve always loved a good build thread read so here’s my attempt at one.

ecdfc6359a22969c24aba6feb986b16b.jpg

Rewind back to 2013 and I was a 16 year old who’d just gotten their license and was just in love with the shape and look of a gen 3 and up popped this one

80856d3eae3ef5e8dc85e962a6b0d71f.jpg

Even tho I was really after a Rev DE it was such a good deal I couldn’t pass up. After owning the car for over 2 years not much had changed, just an exhaust, the legacy garnish, a sound system and a set of WRX wheels it was such a great car to own and learn to drive in.

9a429599d1e723f86ca12bfb9a5ed150.jpg
79f851f399dc29f2b6c6e2f5ad6340a7.jpg

Come my 18th birthday and receiving my Ps however I had saved up quite a bit form working odd jobs and proceeded to take out a loan to buy a car I had always dreamed off.
A 2011 lancer Ralliart. To me it’s the perfect daily driver, boost comes on perfectly it’s a comfy car and a good mountain drive aswell.

a064949bfd8bea5663f24d564aa8ac91.jpg

But like all turbo cars it’s quite expensive to run, but never the less I installed an Evo turbo and a bunch of Evo X parts and made it an even better performing car. And after driving over 100000km In it in just 3 years i love it and plan on keeping it for a while. But slowly the dual clutch gearbox is starting to fail.

Enter in my dream Gen 3.
e32b6dbf4782ade4f13908cab748fb02.jpg

A huge dream of mine was to own a blitzen kit, I love the series 2 variant it just looks so good to me on a gen 3 and I always wanted to get the kit for my old car.
After following this car on the liberty.asn forums I knew all about it and have always loved the look of it. And when it came up for sale I had to get it.
So I proceeded to sell of the Evo X parts form my Ralliart in an aid to buy this and run it as my daily and eventually build the Ralliart bigger and better than ever.

I contacted the seller on gumtree, he had bought this car from the original guy on the lib forums that had compelled all the blitzen work.
The car now had a blown clutch and hadn’t been driven for a while. So after a big of negation and parting out competed a deal was made.
So got a trailer organised and picked the car up and it’s all mine. I own two of my dream cars and am absolutely loving the both.

531b35557c06d3d9508444814d5cdd9c.jpg
d59ee3d863372a3c358f60d1416d4cc5.jpg
318401575489f08a3854fcfce62c8d36.jpg

The plan is now to fix the clutch and get the car back on the road and restore it slightly, getting the bumpers painted etc.And overall just getting it to a clean looking car.

Mod list atm includes:
- Full Blitzen Kit
- BC Coilovers
- Bolt-on Fender Flares (not to everyone’s taste but I quite like them)
- Work Emotion D9r
- A loud as exhaust (needs to go for a quieter setup)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

It's also got big spec b brakes that I helped install years ago ;). Unless they've been removed. Nice pickup

tIeW8DE.png

#3 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

It's also got big spec b brakes that I helped install years ago ;). Unless they've been removed. Nice pickup

Didn’t know that I’ll have to have a check but thanks man!!

#4 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

So first step, let’s get this clutch done..
or so I thought, upon finally getting under the car and taking off all the protective shielding, discovered a massive oil leak. Oil was everywhere it’s coated the engine.
So next step is working out where it’s coming from. Seeming like rocker cover gaskets so those will get changed.

Anyways here are some terrible pics of the engine coming out.
672bd0850effe93c0bf5305d1e98dee9.jpg
277080655bd0baebb7ef9b4088f203e1.jpg

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Piece of piss to do them while the engines out

tIeW8DE.png

#6 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

Piece of piss to do them while the engines out

Hopefully!

Any recommendations on places to get the whole head gasket kit? Considering doing it all while the engine is out.

#7 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Cleaning begins, always nice to have a clean bay while the engine is out

a864f04fec8ba1f17739edfe3901b864.jpg
fa85ea64a56c3c9da7e143aa6b4fdd69.jpg

Still a bit of cleaning to go but happy with the results.
After over viewing the clutch and the current state of the engine a possible replacement one may be on the cards as the current setup has close to 300K on it

#8 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

She’s finally done!

Can’t believe I accomplished that, first time taking on such a big job.
But now installed in there is a fresher motor with 170K on it and a new excedy clutch.
A few hiccups along the way but a change of a master and slave cyclinder and it’s running as good as gold.

0e7870a02215049bc1c74ef14dd3eea1.jpg

Now to get it rego’d
Took it in for a roadworthy and was pretty surprised with the outcome, failed on two things
- front suspension travel wasn’t enough (simple just gonna raise the coils)
- deep scratch on the windscreen so a new ones on order

79c769c82a32daba89b5484908334da2.jpg

So hopefully by the end of this week she’ll be back on the road!!

#9 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:53 PM

She’s now officially on the road and legal!

ae89bc75b7807f4f6481a038b5a066d9.jpg

Straight to daily duties already put over 500kms, since Monday and loving it each and every moment

#10 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Nice! You'll have to come up to Syd with the other mexicans soon.

Ralliart sounds interesting, I always thought they were a bit looked over, the hatch looks like a better alternate to the Levorg or WRX hatch. Got a link to a build thread for yours?

#11 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

That might be for Subinats m8, as HVC has been cancelled.

#12 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

Ralliart sounds interesting, I always thought they were a bit looked over, the hatch looks like a better alternate to the Levorg or WRX hatch. Got a link to a build thread for yours?

It’s actually really a great car but the gearbox scares a lot away due to the potential faults that can occur. I really do need to make a proper build thread for it :(

That might be for Subinats m8, as HVC has been cancelled.

Always wanted to do a HVC shane it’s not on this year :/

#13 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

So an update I guess,

In between then and now I’ve gone through a bit a euro spell diving into the bmw world, which has definitely been fun and a great learning experience

After building together an e36 and eventually selling it I knew I had to be back in a Subaru, my eyes were originally on a wrx always wanted to own one I checked a couple out.... also looked into some Forster xt’s but just couldn’t seem to figure out what to do. Looking through my photos one day I stumbled upon my album for this car, I remember just enjoying my time with it and soooo I own it again, after having to sell it for reasons a few years back like a bug when the chance came up I had to buy it back. After selling this i had always regretted in for some random reason. Luckily a friend had purchased it from the individual I had sold it to so I would occasionally see it around.

Attached File  IMG_4656.jpg   2.56MB   7 downloads

So I own it again now what hahaha well it’s since started to develop a slight rod knock so either way the engines coming out again, but this time I’m definitely thinking along the lines of turbo or h6. Now I’m not 100% on this yet I’m still doing a heck of a lot of research trying to wrap my head around it all, I guess my biggest struggle is the wiring, with the e36 doing that engine swap was relatively simple as the harness belonged to the engine and nothing to do with the body of the car, seeming different looking through all the threads and guides so a loom splice is needed (anyone know if am auto still do this?). My hunt is now on for a donor car, I’ve tried to search for half-cuts etc but have also found a foz xt locally that could potentially donate its heart but am still along way off pulling the trigger on everything but it’s definitely the direction I’m heading towards have the time and budget to hopefully make this all work I think in my head in reality who knows

#14 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:27 PM

Idk if AM Auto still do the looms but im sure they can point you in the right direction. Ichiban may also know. 

Personally wouldnt go for a forester as they have watered down engines compared to everything else. Finding a rough bug eye or similar would be a move. Half cuts arent really a thing anymore, mostly a by request thing instead of kept in stock

tIeW8DE.png

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

Turbo cut. Speak to Miles over at AM Auto, Al has left there, so I'm not sure if Miles still does conversions, but it would stand to reason he does. Only takes a phone call. They sourced, installed and wired the engine package that is currently in my Gen 3. Just be aware its not a cheap exercise, and given the value of gen 3s these days, not a very sound decision.

But I certainly dont regret it. One of the better decisions I ever made. Do it!!

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#16 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:06 PM

Idk if AM Auto still do the looms but im sure they can point you in the right direction. Ichiban may also know. 

Personally wouldnt go for a forester as they have watered down engines compared to everything else. Finding a rough bug eye or similar would be a move. Half cuts arent really a thing anymore, mostly a by request thing instead of kept in stock

Ahhh fair enough man will start by giving them a call and go form there in that case thanks for the help!
Definitely still in process of researching didn’t know that the foz engines were weaker? But fair call man

Turbo cut. Speak to Miles over at AM Auto, Al has left there, so I'm not sure if Miles still does conversions, but it would stand to reason he does. Only takes a phone call. They sourced, installed and wired the engine package that is currently in my Gen 3. Just be aware its not a cheap exercise, and given the value of gen 3s these days, not a very sound decision.

But I certainly dont regret it. One of the better decisions I ever made. Do it!!

Definitely man was having a read through your thread! Awesome that you managed to get it back and going again in the new shell!

Hahaha completely agree it’s probably not a sound decision I often question why I made it but I have some reason to want a gen 3 that I can’t seem to answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users