4 replies to this topic

#1 Davaru

Davaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hi Guys,

First time posting on this site, I just bought a Subaru Liberty 2012 GT Premium, and i'm getting a Bank 1 Lean error. I've taken it to several mechanics and none of them seem to be able to lock down the cause.

The last mechanic believed it was the front Air Fuel Modulator, but after replacing it the same error came up. 

My current theory is that it is either the injectors or the fuel filter. So my question today is twofold:

1. How hard is it to do a fuel filter change on my car

2. Have you had this problem before and if so, how did you fix it?

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

http://forum.liberty...hp?f=15&t=12156

spark, then O2 sensors ?

#3 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

What fuel are you using ?

#4 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

Would've thought fuel filter would affect all injectors rather than just one bank but won't rule it out.  Though after saying that it's a commonly overlooked component that can cause lean mixtures, yet changing the fuel filter in my Gen2 Lib was super easy and cheap for a good name brand via eBay.

I agree with Duncanm; if can pull the spark plugs in the bank and check the colour of the electrode or even if there's an electrode left on each plug.  Plenty of sites will tell you how to read the colour of a spark plug electrode whether it's lean, rich, or spot on.

Given you don't mention if it's miss-firing on one cylinder therefore it's a bit suspicious.  Generally a misfire is easily found when idling the engine by pulling each spark plug lead off one at a time (then reconnecting before moving onto the next lead) to find which cylinder isn't firing properly.  Of course you're dealing with very high voltages in the spark plug leads, that'll jump rather large gaps and give you a nasty zap, so lots of clean rags / insulation of some kind between the lead and your hand if trying this method.  And watch out if & when the cooling fans kick in.

I presume the mechanics did the old reset the ECU and then run it after reset to see if the CEL error comes back?

#5 Davaru

Davaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

Hi sorry for the delay,

Never done the plugs on a boxer engine, anything I should look out for? I'm using premium 98, always have. As I said, the O2 sensor has been looked at, but only the from AF one, not the others. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Check Engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users