• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EarthsDefect

EarthsDefect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:07 AM

Hi, I have a 98 subaru RX impreza EJ20 2.0ltr wagon, rally blue. Has headers, cannon etc...

The motor has a lot of k's on it and I'm thinking about upgrading the engine for a new model or one with low k's. So I thought while I'm at it I'll replace it for a turbo engine and rebuild the engine before putting it into the car.

My question is what engine should I put into it and what modifications are required to turbo the car. I understand the ECU and wiring harness will need to be changed. What else?

I've seen people putting 2002 WRX engines into the 98-2000 impreza is this be a good option? Or should I put the 2.5ltr turbo engine into it?

I know just buy a WRX blah blah blah.. I really don't see any difference between the rx and the wrx other then the engine/gearbox, bonnet, dash cluster and few other minor things... Plus for the price I could rebuild a engine from a wrecked wrx and turbo my impreza and Know its going to last me awhile...

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

Honestly buy a wrx.

Theres 0 change from at least 5k to rebuild the engine properly. To do a conversion properly you ideally need the whole car. So unless you find a smashed wrx for parts for cheap just buy a wrx.

To put an 02 engine in you need a whole wiring harness merge and a lot of other fiddly stuff that you dont think matters but it does. Same situatuin for a 2.5 engine.

IF you really have to convert the car. Buy a smashed wrx or rough of the same year and swap 100% everything over. At which point you may as well just clean up the rough wrx and enjoy it how it came from factory rather than dealing with gremlins for 6 months

tIeW8DE.png

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

2.0T - B4 was 2.0T, so its easier to make a 2.0T legal versus a 2.5T (check your state regs ).

As you say - wiring and ECU. Complexity depends on engine choice. eg: a B4/RSK twin turbo will drop straight in with a loom swap. Others require a loom merge.

You need a turbo front subframe, dump, exhaust, cooling system (header tank etc)

Also need to upgrade brakes.

Your gearbox will bolt on.

Easiest path is to get a running front-cut (or wreck) so that all the little bits and pieces are there.

Check the various engine swap threads here for options.  Josh1 (http://www.subyclub....oshs-whitekong/), Josh2 (http://www.subyclub....an-outback-gtb/) and mine for TT swaps, Joel (http://www.subyclub....1-my02-outback/) for a JDM 2.0T foz engine w/ AVCS swap.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers if you want to give it a whirl.... go in with your eyes open and a solid plan, and you can do it fairly cheap (mine was under $4k with a new clutch and full 100k service)

Do it right (especially wiring), and there are no gremlins.  Mine's been trouble free for over three years and 80k, and that's with the complex and 'unreliable' TT engine.

#4 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

duncanm - It's an Impreza not a Liberty.

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

oh - der fred is me.

Just buy a wrx

#6 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

If the RX Wagon is mint and there is sentimental value I'd consider the effort. I wouldn't go halfway... STi turbs. But otherwise...

Most WRX are forked and probably need a new clutch/gearbag.

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

Drop an ej22 in it with your intake manifold on it and she'll be apples.

But if you're really set on a turbo and you know what you're doing/that you can work through it when the going gets tough (think ready to throw a match in it) you can do the above mentioned methods - half cut or crashed wrx of the same year.

Get one with a running engine. Ppl don't want to rebuild these for a reason - it's costly, so if you're going to do a conversion get a good running engine as this will ultimately keep costs down in the long run.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#8 EarthsDefect

EarthsDefect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:30 AM

Thanks to guys who gave me advice..

#9 Clown

Clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

Hijacking thread here. If one has access to a complete ugly duckling wrx hatch, how hard is the conversion into a 1st/2nd gen liberty? I've been out of Subaru game so long knowledge is rusty lol.

#10 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

Hijacking thread here. If one has access to a complete ugly duckling wrx hatch, how hard is the conversion into a 1st/2nd gen liberty? I've been out of Subaru game so long knowledge is rusty lol.

Full loom splice and probably a standalone ecu. Factory wont play nice with a 20 year younger shell

tIeW8DE.png

#11 Clown

Clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Cheers. I suspected as much. Still with what I'd get the wreck for and having an auto elec mate it's doable. Will ponder for a few days and speak to auto elec mate and see if he's up to the challenge.

Full loom splice and probably a standalone ecu. Factory wont play nice with a 20 year younger shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users