• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:05 AM

Just digging up an old pic for another forum had me rummaging though my photo album on imageshack - geez I/we had some good times!

So I thought I'd share a few with you and continue digging up some good ol' pics as the conversation grows. I'm aiming not to make this all about the shots of Ruby Scoo - but sometimes I won't be able to avoid it, there are some good pics out there even if I do say so myself!

You may note that these pics are not in order too.

And please, if you want to reply with a quote including an image, delete the images you don't want to comment on rather than having ALL pics show up in the quote. *looks at Bumpty* dead_horse.gif

So, back when it all started, Ruby Scoo just on the road after a year in the shed (EFI conversion) and looking like a little baby - while I learn how to 4wd around the Bendigo area:

aug1906rockdecent1azx4.jpg

Kicking around benders - up near the Rifle brigade:

rubyandhummer4rearviewoo6.jpg

And the pic that got this bit of nostalgia off and running. Yeah, that was a fun day... At least until this point:

pb010089rs.jpg

pb010093rs.jpg

^ NOT fun to clean out... I ran for a very long time without a floor covering - and had to remove a half centimetre layer of fine silt from all nooks and crannies.

Lerderderg area in an old quarry north of Baccus Marsh:

1005807.jpg

Offroading in the high country around the Dinner Plain area pre season start:

p50700954wdhoth.jpg

Awesome place if you've not had the pleasure of checking it out:

p5060090hoth.jpg

Brunton's Bridge, Walhalla area. This was back in the day and this group of vehicles traveled around the place a lot. Venom in the H6 liberty (sold on), Subaruby in the Beige MY Sportswagon and Nachaluva in the silver foz. Plenty of good times had in this area:

6bJIZs.jpg

And a typical Bennie campground pre-trip maintenance job - brake pad replacement, this was the last one before my recent change in Rapid Bay, Sept17. This pic is from 2010..

img7044e.jpg

Thompson Dam near the end of this trip (not that I'm aiming to post specific trip pics):

uGtif4.jpg

First Vic desert trip on the back of a visit to Robe. This was "hosted" by Dulagarl who has a lot of knowledge on this area. This was the trip that sparked many of our interests in the Vic deserts that see us returning time and time again. In this pic there are a number of vehicles from SA too:

dsc4028wyperfield.jpg

Robe, coming from Beachport; Pedro in the XT foz. Another capable vehicle!

dsc3444robe.jpg

dsc3196robe.jpg

Random pic - school road trip from Perth to Exmouth via Coral Bay. This was in Exmouth IIRC:

dsc6631f.jpg

Lerderderg again. This time with Subaruby and Brrrumbeee:

jpegcroppedp4180060.jpg

On the other side:

jpegp4180064.jpg

I'll leave it off here with this fav of mine with Bboypeb's brumby (no longer around):

p4040141.jpg

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

Yeah Bennie!

Looks like so much fun

#3 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

Great collection of photos there!

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#4 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

M8. nice pics.

I cannot believe the pic of the water half way up the car.

Did it still run ??

#5 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:38 AM

Thanks guys!

I cannot believe the pic of the water half way up the car.
Did it still run ??

It was still running in that pic - just. One bank was under water and the other just above it. The air cleaner was saturated and idle was rough at best.

This happened about 2000km later - I thought the wheel bearings would let go first:

pc230423rs.jpg

I learnt my lesson, but my mate (Dulagurl) hadn't until this point:

kv5q.jpg

^ That foz is where I got the idea for my snorkel from. And this foz is H6 converted. It's a weapon!
I'll have to dig up some pics of the brumby that attempted this in the opposite direction with the same results...

The snorkel that's now fitted comes into its own in situations like this one:

qd0w.jpg

Nachaluva on the same track later on - he got "a bit floaty" in the middle but managed to get out under his own steam:

14p2.jpg

ujwl.jpg

Walhalla area, Forbes Tk (need to check that track name...)

And this was another fun time that left us stranded halfway between Omeo and Bruthen with very little mobile reception:

p7230485.jpg

I don't know how this happened, I don't do hard launches etc. Could've been a fault in the clutch disc. Mind you, when there was an initial issue with the clutch I thought it a good idea to drive with rev matching and double clutching, not hard to do since that's what I already do anyway. It got us ~350km off Hotham to Lakes Entrance and about halfway back until rattle tinkle rattle rattle...

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

I love how you push your cars to the limit and back again Bennie.

Such epic pics. That idler is a classic!!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:07 PM

I think it's a good time to update this again :D

RX25SE - Yeah, I don't always see it like that, but I guess I've been building and driving this for over 10 years now... Lots of highs and a few lows - it's been an awesome ride!

Hotham times: Since the current weather has me thinking about our time in the high country a lot at the moment, I thought it a good place to start.

p6300209.jpg

p8280075g.jpg

p8210067rs.jpg

One thing I did learn while up here is that 4wd'n in the snow is not fun. A) if you get stuck it's frigging cold and B) you can't see what's under the snow - so you could easily drop into a hole on one wheel, hit a rock with the undercarriage etc!

And this is what happens when you freeze your block due to misreading the label on the coolant "of choice":

p6080015.jpg

p6080016.jpg

Every joint in the cooling system was like this. I thought my head gaskets were dead for sure - but they didn't pop until another 4 years later :D

McKillop's Bridge, a few hours before blowing 2nd gear on a down shift on the Dedick Tk:

56F2nV.jpg

This wasn't much fun at all:

7d3kgb.jpg

^ About half the Dedick Tk was a skull drag :(

Nachaluva at Mt Cole in the rain. While this track was in good shape it became similar to a slippery dip in the rain:

kods.jpg

Out somewhere between Robe and Beachport, SA:

dsc3391ruby.jpg

In the Strathbogie Ranges, amoungst the timber plantations:

p9110114.jpg

And cutting a lap in Melbs - trailer and all...

p5280014u.jpg

New paint job:

p3140270blanked.jpg

^ The joys of not running flares, I've now got the offset that I need to keep the tyres under the guards so flares are not needed anyway :D

Grandma and the young kids hanging out during one of our meets a few years back now:

j4TooH.jpg

Bush mechanical work at it's finest while on the sand. This shopping bag lasted until well after we got home from SA:

p1220079rs.jpg

That'll do for now ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users