Modding a N/A, The truth

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

One question i will ask.

Why has no one looked into a stronger ignition system?
More bang = hotter burn = more efficient burn = theoretically more power.

I'll have a squiz into whats involved.

Yes what you say is good in theory...bad in practice too much Burn = HEAT will blow a nice hole in the piston....

Also soop extractors will only give 3-5 kw max as the engine as it works it is limited to how much exhaust gases are pumped through them...what i mean as the engine works and burns gases it wont exit faster then by which the new gases that are burnt push the old ones out...But as Brenda said its point less unless you do head work and cam work...to do any mods to a N/A...

Ive had cam work and head work on my 20 valve corolla which made the engine much more revy and more guts but then again the stock 20valve blacktop 4age came with 150hp at the fly wheel. so with exhaust and a pod that had cold air with the heads ported and polished and timing readjusted and slight cam work the car was fast.... to give you an example it would much the Proton Satria GTI which was a 1.8ltr

#22 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

I realise this mate. My main point, was that I can't see the extractors adding 5kw's no matter what else you do. But the cost of doing these things makes them unobtainable to most, and not worth it to the rest. One thing i do know for a fact, is that Subaru NA's runs f*ck off Rich AFR's with the stock tune. They run around 14.7:1 at 2500rpm, then by 4000rpm they've hit 11.0:1, then down to around 10.0:1 by redline. I'm going to have a more detailed fiddle with the fuel system and I'll let you know what happens. Before all you d!cks start on about "ZOMG you'll blow up teh NJUN!" I'm not a moron. I know what the engine needs in order to survive. So shuddup and I'll let you know if it does anything at all worth while.
TSM

#23 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

I'll let you know if it does anything at all worth while.

*subscribes* :D

2mmwi1w.jpg

#24 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:56 AM

What about DOHC heads for us SOHC boiz Not sure how it would work with the a SOHC ECU, or is there even a difference? I dont know much about the ECU and what it fully does etc but my idea of it is it controls how much fuel, when the ignite the plugs, based on sensor readings it gets, their can't be that much difference between the sensors on say an ej25DOHC then an ej20/22SOHC can there? :unsure:

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#25 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

You can't just bolt on the DOHC heads.
The piston crown shape is different.

SOHC Piston:
Posted Image

DOHC Piston:
Posted Image

If you did try and use DOHC heads on the Ej22, you'd end up with shorter valves....

For the effort involved your better off just putting an EJ25D in. There is a small amount that needs to be changed but its fairly straight forward.
With naturally aspirated engines, size does matter. The more CC's it has the more torque and top end power it will generate.
Its why 5ltr commodores can make 250kw@w standing on their heads.

As for the sensors and such.
The engine wiring is more or less identical for Gen2 GX and RX. The ECU pin differs between the 2.5 and 2.2 ECU's. This is easily over come by using a patch loom. Which either Al at AMAUTO or Mick at Teckworkz can make for you.
TSM

#26 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Makes sence :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#27 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

EJ22's are fast stock anyway well at least i think so and its got torque too and i know this cause when i put 4 extra people it doesn't really slow down like other cars i use to drive. i wonder what your views would be to tuning an N/A if subaru never made turbo versions. i know people here would still opt for custom turbo jobs but imagine the support for N/A's. it would have the same type of support as type r's or certain corolla's or SR20's. Anyways i won't defend the N/A much more untill i make a decision after driving a ej20t or tt :) and thats if i ever do. what do you guys think of making vids of 0-100 of N/A's and turbos?? if i get any responses i'll make one too

#28 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

If Subaru never made a turbo, you would probably find the same amount of support that there currently is for the NA models. There has been an instance of one person putting a turbo on an EJ25, but it was full of problems and ended up blowing up. Raptor make a supercharger setup for the EJ25 too, but it will cost about the same as doing a turbo conversion The point of this thread is indicate that there is only so much you can do to an NA before it becomes a cost versus gain scenario. The EJ22 isn't slow as such, but not quick either compared to the turbo varients. To post up a comparitive 0-100 video would be fruitless. You'd probably expect that a nicely (and sesnibly) modded EJ22 could do 0-100 in 8 or 9 seconds, an EJ25 in around 7 or 8 seconds and the turbos faster again.

#29 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Jesus H Christ... They aren't fast by any stretch of the imagination. The have a bit more torque <3000rpm than your average 4cylinder. But nothing to write home about. It's really quiet simple. NA (4cyl) Subaru's are not, nor will they ever be, a performance vehicle. If you want a quick NA on a budget. Go get yourself a VH - VK - VL Commodore with a nice 308 in it. It will scare the f*ck out of you. If you think this POS EJ22 is fast.
TSM

#30 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

well when you've been driving 1.8l's, 2.0l's most of your life bein a p plater the ej22 is fast for me and i hardly have to press the throttle for me to keep up with traffic. i have driven fast more powerful cars of the 2.0l's and commo's but its pretty good well thats what i think anyway. i do realise though that if i was to properly vs a performace car (you name it) i have no chance in hell but for an average car of its age and cc's its pretty good.

#31 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yes. Context is important when saying this like that. But really. A Snail is fast, compared with a corpse.
TSM

#32 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Anyways i won't defend the N/A much more untill i make a decision after driving a ej20t or tt :) and thats if i ever do.

6 months ago I would have agreed with you, but I think if you go find an EJ20t converted Liberty you'll realise how useless the NAs are for performance.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#33 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

First time i drove my car i thought it was quick............only because id just hopped out of mums bucket of shit 1.3L Jazz. Now i hate my engine. its an AID's ridden piece of arse!!

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#34 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:25 PM

6 months ago I would have agreed with you, but I think if you go find an EJ20t converted Liberty you'll realise how useless the NAs are for performance.

+1

i've driven dylans ej20t...

i hate NA now...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#35 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

what do you guys think of making vids of 0-100 of N/A's and turbos??

There's already some on pootube

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#36 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

yeh cheers. on first gear were pretty similar but on second the B4 just shoots off where as mine just TRIES really hard. actually mines worse in first gear too, in both gears my car just becomes gutless after 5500rpm, which is normal aye.....

#37 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

wat? Seriously. Turbo > NA. There isn't even a comparison to be made.
TSM

#38 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

wat?

Seriously. Turbo > NA.

There isn't even a comparison to be made.

of course the B4 is faster but on first gear i'm not too far behind, like my car revs similar(but slower) to that then on second gear the B4 really pulls where as mine becomes slow. i think i will make a vid.

#39 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

LOL, then you get a single turbo TT Legacy with a Sti box and 4.11's, then you have a quick 1st gear :) Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#40 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

Although this is my next car....

Paul