41 replies to this topic

#41 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

Wow, what a great build thread! Thanks for the commentary and pics mate. I haven't been on SC for a long time and have just spent an hour learning the 2018 history of Ahri. Good stuff. Hey (I may have missed it) what was the cause of the ignition always-on problem from a few months ago. Where pulling the key didn't kill power? And hats off to you for your patience and persistence. I get irritated just dropping a bolt into the engine bay. Nice to see another rider on here too. I have an old '98 ZX9R. Last of the big carby engines from Mr Kawasaki. So simple to work on. Mark

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#42 KerrosTalde

KerrosTalde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:53 AM

Wow, what a great build thread! Thanks for the commentary and pics mate. I haven't been on SC for a long time and have just spent an hour learning the 2018 history of Ahri. Good stuff. Hey (I may have missed it) what was the cause of the ignition always-on problem from a few months ago. Where pulling the key didn't kill power? And hats off to you for your patience and persistence. I get irritated just dropping a bolt into the engine bay. Nice to see another rider on here too. I have an old '98 ZX9R. Last of the big carby engines from Mr Kawasaki. So simple to work on. Mark

Sorry for the late reply, and cheers for dropping by my thread.

I had to read back through my build and realised that i never posted about fixing it. To be honest, i am not quite sure what one specific thing was causing the ignition always-on issue, but the long and the short of it was that i had missed the little black chip in the remote which was stonewalling me on starting the car, as it is coded with the secret handshake the ecu needs to disable the factory immobiliser. So when i was turning the ignition over with the correct but unchipped key, it was throwing a bitch fit and trying to set off the immobiliser, and i think with the engine not in the car at that point contributed to not completing a circuit and then was leaving the car powered on.
It is a difficult thing to pin the blame on one direct cause as i had gone through and addressed bad wiring, swapped the immobiliser chip, and installed and connected the engine before testing it again and either due to one or all of those factors it rectified itself and never caused that issue again. (Knock on wood)

I was close to throwing tools at it a couple of times, i tell you what. Stubbornness is probably what drove me to keep working through more than anything. I just don't like the idea of what could be something simple defeating me only to find out how close i was after i were to give up. The O-rings as a perfect case in point. After the third failed attempt i started the morning by browsing Gumtree in search of another H6, but shook that idea off by the end of my morning coffee and finally made the discovery on the size disparity between the US-supplied O-rings and Subaru-spec ones.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with a carbed motorcycle for simplicity. My GS500 is alright but upgrading is on the cards in the not too distant future. I do quite like the carby ZX bikes; the old man had a 1991 ZX-11 back when i was a kid. However, the early Zook Bandit 1200 is also a contender, despite being less powerful and heavier, they are fairly affordable and said to be tough as old boots.

Later days. Matt.

"Wouldn't it be fun to have a daily that you can take racing, tow a boat with, take the kids to school in, go do the grocery run, and hoon in any weather?"

"Why do you think i bought a Subaru then?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users