Photo

How to guide on how to remove intake manifold?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

Is there any guides to removing the top manifold?

I've read through Jimbo's brilliant, extensive information and came up blank, unless I blindly missed it.

Cheers guys!
Revision D is my model.

MY01 Subaru Liberty B4 Tuned by Kido Racing

Body mods - JDM Front flairs and centre piece, STi rear spoiler

To Be Fitted: Blitz Front Mount Intercooler Assembly. (Wasn't cheap!)

Sequential twins are fun, nothing like letting your guard down then getting a swift kick in the arse at high revs.

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

1. Remove air box and joiner to the intake tract
2. Remove intercooler and BOV (You can find that in the YGTTT thread)
3. Disconnect all the plugs from the manifold harness and the vac line groups from the Black Box (All 3 groups)
4. Using a screw driver, loosen the clamps on the turbo snouts
5. Remove the top breather lines and rubber hoses going to the heads (metal pipes running across the top) and, the brake booster line.
6. Disconnect all coolant lines (You're going to have to lose some coolant, keep some handy for when you finish)
7. Remove coolant header tank
8. Remove Secondary Turbo Bypass Valve
9. Remove throttle cable
10. Remove Alternator (Probably not necessary but makes it much easier to access other wiring plugs)
11. Remove all 3 fuel lines.

12. VERY CAREFULLY check the condition of the breather lines attached to the intake tract before starting the manifold removal process. There's one big one which comes from the block, and goes to an "F" shaped connector. These particular breather lines and plastic connectors are VERY BRITTLE. IF you break one, you're in a world of PAIN. BE VERY CAREFUL removing the breather line which attaches to the intake tract just under the throttle body (it's directly under the line which goes to the ventilation valve in the throttle body). That connector on the intake tract is pretty much guaranteed to break. Unfortunately there's no real easy way to avoid it or do it. You just have to hope it's not in that bad a shape. I would even nearly recommend carefully cutting the breather line in the middle (the easiest thing to replace) and remove the rest of the line off the intake tract once the manifold is out.

13. Undo the 4 bolts at the bottom of each manifold runner. Some of them can be tricky to access (especially around the intake tract) and you'll need an extension for you socket set at least 20cm long. You might have to have some tools that are flexible, too.
14. MAKE SURE the breather lines we spoke about at Step 12 are all freely disconnected. If you try to lift the manifold off and you've forgotten about them, they're toast.
15. Carefully lift the manifold up and towards you and assist the intake tract in becoming free from the turbo snouts if they're a bit sticky. The manifold might take a bit of force to separate from the block it's a bit sticky, patience and a small flat blade screw-driver can help.
16. Before you pull the manifold free, do a quick check to make sure there are no more connectors or lines impeding the removal process. 

Recommendations : 

- It would be wise to grab yourself new manifold gaskets and even a throttle body one if you plan on removing that too.
- Can be a good idea to inspect the injectors and have them cleaned while they're more easily accessible.
- Get yourself some Ultra Blue gasket sealant to aid the re-installation, that way you know it's tight.
- A good opportunity to give the manifold a clean-up and even a lick of paint if you can spare the extra time.
- Get yourself an eBay silicone intake to replace the OEM plastic tract. https://www.ebay.com...zYAAMXQTgZQ9ehi they are expensive and a bit tricky to fit, but it's good insurance in case something breaks, which it will.

BEST OF LUCK!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Pyr0m4n14c44

Pyr0m4n14c44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

Jeez! So much effort just to get to a pesky knock sensor!!

Thanks so much for the great and extensive guide Jimbo, I'm gonna have to organise a day to do this task haha.

MY01 Subaru Liberty B4 Tuned by Kido Racing

Body mods - JDM Front flairs and centre piece, STi rear spoiler

To Be Fitted: Blitz Front Mount Intercooler Assembly. (Wasn't cheap!)

Sequential twins are fun, nothing like letting your guard down then getting a swift kick in the arse at high revs.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

I haven't looked, but the FSM suggests you can pull it with manifold in place ?

#5 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

I just had my inlet manifold off Duncan.

I dont think you can get to the knock sensor, with the manifold in place.

Getting the manifold off is one thing, but getting it back on is another matter.

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

I juuuust managed to get my knock sensor out on my Gen2 GTB without removing the manifold. That was mega ghetto contortionist tools going on. Though, with the Gen3, I think there were too many extra things added and the intake tract made slightly bigger so i just dont think you can get to it any other way.

#7 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

Here's my guide on how to remove knock sensor....

Undo stuff
Beer
Swear
Beer
Swear
Beer
Replace

and you're good to go.
Hope this helps

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

I think ill just replace the entire YGTTT thread with that. Accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users