2 replies to this topic

#1 TimK

TimK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help me out as not even my Mechanic seems to be able to.

Back story:

About a year ago now my 2004 Liberty (Auto) started to shake and smoke at traffic lights. It lacked any acceleration power and would max out at about 40km/h before I had to pull over and turn it off. I got the car towed to my mechanic. Once at the mechanic my car was fine, he could not find a single thing wrong with it. I left it with him and assured him there was something wrong. He drove it and it was fine, until 2 weeks later it happened to him while the car was running in the shop. He told me I needed an engine replacement. Thinking I had no choice I handed over the money and had the engine replaced with a second hand engine with 150k on it. Once I picked it up...the exact same thing happened. He now tells me it was the engine coil. He replaces this and everything is fine.

Fast forward a year and a similar thing happens. This time car starts to shake in parking lot and turns off. Quite violent shaking. This happens twice over the course of an hour. Again I have my car towed to same mechanic who again cannot find anything wrong. I pick my car up and have taken it for a few test drives and everything seems fine.... however I know that it is not. Mechanic cannot find anything wrong with the car, however I believe he just has it running in the shop and waits for it to break down which it doesn't, and he then declares it fine.

Anyway:

Question 1: What the hell happened the first time round?

Question 2: Can anybody tell from the symptoms I listed what may be wrong with the car this time? I need to drive it but I know it will break down on me at some stage, and the mechanic cannot find anything wrong. Perhaps the power of the internet can point me in the right direction?

Appreciate any help! Thanks guys!

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

First of all take it to a different mechanic. Hes throwing parts at what is probably a leak or a dead coil pack. How he came to the conclusion to replace the engine is beyond me. What city are you in?

tIeW8DE.png

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Yep - likely spark.  Coil pack, leads, or plugs.

Any half-arsed (not even half-decent) mechanic should be able to diagnose this in 10 min by pulling the plugs and inspecting them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users