Photo

2006 Subaru Impreza R S 2.0 ‘hesitation’ problem HELP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zenbong

Zenbong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hi to all members of subyclub.

So a few months ago I purchased a 2006 Subaru Impreza R S with the 2 litre DOHC EJ204, and immediately i was faced with poor acceleration and jerking. I had the engine light come up for my front o2 sensor, so i had that changed. The problem however was still occuring, but only under moderate acceleration, or going up small hills. I changed all 4 spark plugs and put a brand new k&n filter in. After driving around for a few days the problem slowly comes back (best as i can describe it). The strange thing though is when i disconnect the battery and reconnect then drive around, the problem fixes itself (or becomes less noticable) but a few days later its back. I had suspected it could be the fuel filter, but am not too sure.

Anyone else have similiar problems like this? I should also add it has done 273k kilometers.
If someone could give me advice i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

Above the driver's footwell behind the kick panel are a set of black single spade plugs. You might have to fish around for one of them - it could be taped on the main loom.

Connect these plugs and turn the ignition ON without the engine running. You may hear the fuel pump and relays clicking on and off, this is normal. Watch the check engine light as it will flash. If no codes you'll get a series of short flashes then a pause then a repeat of the same number of flashes. If this is the case there are no codes.
If you have codes you wi get long and short flashes. Count each type of flash to get the code. Eg, two long and one short is a code 21. Once the ECU has shown all the codes it will continue to loop through these.

Remember to unplug the black test plugs before driving or starting the car again.

Jump online and do a search for your model's codes - I'm sure there's a thread on here about them.

That will hopefully point you in the right direction.

I'd also make sure the IACV passage is clean. Don't mess with the IACV while it's out, I lost the spring on ours when it shot out over the engine (Gen3 lib ej25)...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Zenbong

Zenbong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Cheers for the reply Bennie. I plugged them together ( although mine were green ) and the relays, fuel pump aswel as the fans were going on and off, but my engine light didnt not flash once, as did none of the lights on the cluster. Is this normal and should i be looking else where? Cheers

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

Hmmm... It's always been the check engine light on previous models. Does your check engine light illuminate with the ignition on before you start the engine?

If not, replace the globe in the cluster ;)

I'm hoping someone can jump in and add further information.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#5 Zenbong

Zenbong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

Yeah unfortunately it isnt the bulbs. I shouldve mentioned that they all came on, but didnt flash. If anyone else could shed some light on this i would be grateful.

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

I think you plugged the wrong ones together -- diagnostic (or something) which cycles fans etc for test purposes.

Ferret around a little more for the right plugs.

#7 Zenbong

Zenbong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

Ive had a look around and couldnt find any other sets of plugs, only the green ones i mentioned before.
The other day i reset my ecu by unplugging the battery overnight and the car felt much better. But as usual the issue comes back in a couple days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users