10 replies to this topic

#1 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

Hi everyone,

Bought a R160 SureTrac diff that I want to swap the LSD centre into my own diff so it has the right ratio for my car (3.9).

Can anyone provide me with run through of everything I would need to do? I've read some info online but it's a bit patchy.

Also, I heard I can avoid needing to re-adjust backlash and preload if I keep the shims in their current position?

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#2 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

If no one has clear instructions, might try to piece together a guide myself from the info I find and personal experience.

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Basically keep the shim on the correct side of the diff when you remove the bearing carriers.

That's about it. You're not playing with the pinion shaft so no issues there.

There's a good write up about this on Ausubaru.com/forum - but you'll need an old internt explorer or modzilla to use that forum properly atm. Word on the webs is that this forum will be undergoing a make over and retain all the old info too :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#4 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

So to be doubly sure that I have this right. Do I swap the shims from one case to another, or do I keep them on the cases they came off?

#5 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Cases they came off.

You could get really technical and measure up any differences in the width of the diff centre in relation to the crown wheel mounting surface and work out the change required in the shims to keep the crown wheel in the same spot as the previous setup. But this isn't usually needed/done...

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#6 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

Well she's in. Seems to be alright, no funny noises. Couldn't feel any excessive backlash before I put it in either.

I didn't measure up the diffs, but I did measure the cases and both were the exactly the same, and both cases had the same number of shims, so I can't see how I would of altered the preload.

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:31 PM

Awesome. It's all Lego ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#8 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

I missed this one. I have done this and as you said it was easy. Did you have to grind out some of the casing to fit the fatter LSD centre in? Apparently LSD casings have some relief done at the factory. Also did you notice any cracking in the machined off welds that hold the suretrac casing together? I re-welded mine as they were cracked all along their length. I think they just stop the parts unscrewing anyway so it probably didn't matter anyway.

#9 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

I missed this one. I have done this and as you said it was easy. Did you have to grind out some of the casing to fit the fatter LSD centre in? Apparently LSD casings have some relief done at the factory. Also did you notice any cracking in the machined off welds that hold the suretrac casing together? I re-welded mine as they were cracked all along their length. I think they just stop the parts unscrewing anyway so it probably didn't matter anyway.

I did have to grind a little knobbly bit off right at the back of the diff, but apart from that everything fit nice.

I didn't notice any cracks. Should I be worried?

#10 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

Probably not. Cracks should t be present in your LSD ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#11 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Nah I don't think so.

001.jpg

You can see where it has been welded, and then machined flush. Mine had cracks through those welds and because these diffs are so rare/ unloved I couldn't find much info on whether it was a big deal or not. I ended up re-welding them and there seemed to be no reason why they were even machined anyway. I really think though looking at the case that the end is screwed in and the welds are just there to stop them unscrewing. Mine has been fine but I haven't driven that car much since doing the diff.

How do you find yours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users