←  Twin Turbo

Suby Club

»

Gen 3 and lightned flywheels

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 20 Jul 2009

Recently i've been looking at putting in a lighter flywheel in the B4 when the clutch dies. Has anyone here got a lightned fly wheel on their Gen 3? If so what is the major differences you have got from it, good and bad if any.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 20 Jul 2009

Lighter flywheel will certainly make it rev more freely, but will also make it a little more difficult/uncomfortable to drive. I've had a solid flywheel put in mine, which is lighter compared to the Dual Mass Flywheel, but not a "Lightened Flywheel" as such. I certainly noticed the difference and had to adjust my driving style, but I'd say go for it if you're after racing fun good times.

ams's Photo ams 20 Jul 2009

more difficult/uncomfortable to drive.

How so?

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 20 Jul 2009

How so?

More jerky when backing off of the throttle

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 20 Jul 2009

How so?

It's easier to stall when taking off, more jerky when applying throttle, more vibration through the gearbox, not as smooth through gear changing unless you're rev matching well.

All in all, if you're after something that's a little bit quicker, but are prepared for something that is a little more difficult to drive around with on a daily basis, go for the light flywheel.

B4TT's Photo B4TT 20 Jul 2009

I have a single peice flywheel in mine now, bubye the two peice that is standard in the B4, and I noticed a difference in vibrations etc

Claydog's Photo Claydog 20 Jul 2009

What sort of clutch actuation are the B4's.Push or pull??? Looking at my manual they are a pull type same as the wrx/RS liberty Any Lightened wrx flywheel will fit. DJA off rslibertyclub.org has Fidenza ones cheap.

cracka's Photo cracka 20 Jul 2009

pull type. any flywheel that matches a ej20 pull type clutch wiil do i've got an exedy 5.7kg F/W. works fine for me. what ever you do don't get a lightened fly wheel, as in ,one that's been machined to be lightened. have seen broke pieces of lightened flywheels actually penetrate the cabin when they let go. they don't add killowsps but you will notice a little more pickup response and a little more NVH when decelerating and when labouring but no biggie on mine.

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 20 Jul 2009

Where did some of you guys source yours from?

Claydog's Photo Claydog 20 Jul 2009

Where did some of you guys source yours from?

Look Here:
http://www.rexnet.co...showtopic=99573

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 21 Jul 2009

Yeah i've seen this. But is it a bit of overkill to fit this to a road car that i still want to be relatively easy to drive? 12kg down to 4kg is a huge drop in weight.

cracka's Photo cracka 21 Jul 2009

got mine from ZEDS brakes and clutch in sunshine. he's one of the few exedy distributors and also suplies subaru docklands with a lot of thier replacement clutches. don't have his no on me but i can get it fot you. they aren't really cheap aroung 600-700 from memory

Winkles's Photo Winkles 21 Jul 2009

Yeah i've seen this. But is it a bit of overkill to fit this to a road car that i still want to be relatively easy to drive?
12kg down to 4kg is a huge drop in weight.

I have similar one in My Gen 3 Rx, Fidzana 4.3kg to suit the RX clutch system.

Its not that much harder to drive once you get used to it, I think the hardest bit was getting used to how quickly it rev'd and the loss of low down torque especially when doing hill starts (im not a very good manual driver lol) which i still havent mastered yet... I normally over rev, 1300-1500rpm :(

With mine I try to keep the Revs over 1500rpm (can get away with it in 2nd), blip the accelerator on down changes and ease on and off the gas when crusing :)

I like having the lighten fly wheel makes the car more fun in 1st to 3rd gear :D

Claydog's Photo Claydog 21 Jul 2009

Yeah i've seen this. But is it a bit of overkill to fit this to a road car that i still want to be relatively easy to drive?
12kg down to 4kg is a huge drop in weight.

Look for one around 7.5kg a good compromise.
I have a 7.5kg ej22 flywheel in my RSturbo as it uses a 99 rx lib gearbox.great to drive.