The car isnt shifting into first when I stop,just sits in second gear

#2 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

I think most people would want to know which model of Subaru you have that's causing you hassles?

First up is there enough fluid in the transmission (trans)?  Have you checked the trans dip stick if there's enough fluid?  All autos trans used to be checked for correct fluid level when hot but most now also have cold check lines so can be checked first up in the morning.  If checking the fluid level when hot make sure to set the parking brake on, I usually will also have my foot on the brakes as well, move the selector lever to all positions for a number of seconds before putting it in Park and checking the trans dip stick.

That said, how long since you've had the auto trans serviced?  Most auto trans need servicing every year generally to change the filter and to change the oil.  Actually when an auto trans is serviced it really only changes about 1/3 of the trans oil unless you have a full flush hence the BIG need to have the trans regularly serviced.

If auto trans fluid is worked too hard by getting it too hot the fluid will change from the normal red colour to brown.  If your auto trans fluid on the dip stick is anywhere a shade of brown then get it serviced pronto as overheated brown trans oil does not lubricate as well as fresh oil so is prematurely wearing your trans.

If after the above it still sits in second rather than going into first then if it was a fully hydraulic/mechanical trans that suggests a blocked hydraulic passage way which controls the moding of the trans and that's not a cheap fix.  With modern Engine Control Unit (ECU) / Trans Control Unit (TCU) controlled trans it could be as simple as a failed pressure switch which means the TCU isn't receiving the right data to mode correctly.  Most likely a TCU would be throwing a code as well with what it thinks is wrong if you can find a way to read out the TCU codes.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users