12 replies to this topic

#1 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:40 AM

Does anybody have one of these or know where i can get one? Partsouq and most places I've search either don't have them or they are ridiculously priced.

I'm doing a few unconventional mods to my car and want to replace the plastic thermostat housing with an alloy version. Mainly to prevent any potential melting or heat issues with the exhaust manifold I am going to put on my ej251. 

The part I want is 11054AA010, I think these came on a older ej22 automatic cars and had an extra nipple for oil cooling or something? 

Yes changing the water pump is an option, i don't really want to have to go that route.. 

Also i went to a wreckers last night, all of the subaru's there (including a few ej22's) had the plastic housing. 

thermohousing4.jpg

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

I’ve never seen one of these before - and I’ve got an EJ22 at m&d’s from an auto with the alloy thermostat housing, but no extra nipple. Are you sure this was an AUDM item as I bet it’s not - maybe a USDM EJ22T item?. Any cooling for the auto is done through the radiator.

I reckon I know what your plans are. I’ve got something similar in the wings too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:29 AM

haha secret plans? tell tell tell!

Mine is to use a 2.5i manifold which wraps around the front of the sump and make a custo up and down pipe for my turbo. I'll change the sump and have got some 10mm thick spacers (exhaust gasket shape) to slightly lower the exhaust manifold already. With the spacers i've got about 10mm clearance to the thermostat, i'm half tempted to just make a thin heat shield for the gap and leave it.. If i keep an eye on it i'll be able to see if its going to be a problem and easily keep a spare plastic housing on hand. 

Also yea these housing might be a USDM thing. 

Another option which I cbf with really is to make an alloy housing.. could be done with some plate and tube or a solid billet style! 

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Turbo water pump with a forward facing thermostat and extra nipple is the proper way to do it

tIeW8DE.png

#5 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

haha i'm surprised that suggestion took so long.. (or the whole "put a wrx motor in it blah blah") Yes i agree but i only put this new genuine pump (good cast impeller) on about 15000km ago when the whole engine was rebuilt. Didn't particularly want to go that route just yet.. It may happen though! 

Also the extra nipple is not required, I was going to plug that up with a grub screw.. 

FWIW i'm going to check out using an FB20/25 housing, they are bottom entry, cast alloy. The angle of the dangle doesn't quite look right but might be easy enough to cut, rotate and weld. $10 from the wreckers! Fingers crossed the bolt spacing is pretty close.. 

#6 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

g'day gents,

I checked out the FB25 thermostat housing (i grabbed it off a 2014 forester), it looks work-able! It bolts straight up to the standard bottom entry water pump and is not far off pointing in the same direction. 

Its a bit longer, but i reckon there is enough length in it to allow me to cut and shut it to be the same as the normal plastic housing. it also isn't quite pointing horizontal, it would actually point slightly downwards when bolted in the car. 

Clearance to the 2.5i exhaust is actually slightly less (remember i have 10mm spacers under this manifold), so the gap as gone from about 8mm to 6mm. I'm pretty comfortable with this though and keen to try it! 

thermo6
thermo5
thermo4
thermo2
thermo3

#7 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

BTW the part number for this alloy housing is 11060AA260

#8 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:10 AM

If you remove those heat shields you’ll have loads of room. Then wrap the manifold in that heat wrap stuff. Job done.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:37 AM

.. at which point it'll soak up water, contain heat, and rust out your manifold  :ph34r:

#10 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

have your down pipes rusted or been affected by the wrap since you did yours duncan? 

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

have your down pipes rusted or been affected by the wrap since you did yours duncan? 

my downpipes are stainless.

OEM manifolds are not.

#12 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

hehe i did actually know yours was stainless (I've read over your build a couple of times, sweet ride!)... I was still interested to know if the wrap had effected the stainless dumps at all OR if you still had any heat issues through the firewall or anything. 

#13 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

hehe i did actually know yours was stainless (I've read over your build a couple of times, sweet ride!)... I was still interested to know if the wrap had effected the stainless dumps at all OR if you still had any heat issues through the firewall or anything. 

wrap seems to be working well at keeping temps at the firewall and in the engine bay down..  

The only downside I can see at the moment is that they do attract crap - so the odd oil drip or mud splash ends up embedded in the fabric and then slowly toasts off. Gets a bit stinky for a while if its oil.  If the wrap is rotting the headers, I figure I won't see anything until they start leaking !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users