• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

I Took it upon myself to shorten my boost control lines and extend the wiring. This seemed to work well as it seemed quite responsive when I took it for a drive but again seemed to be dropping into twin mode quite early. So I put it into diagnostic mode and noticed the ECV duty solenoid was not clicking like it was the other day so I decided to clean it out some more with UEC. This seemed to make it work well and I blew out the lines with gentle compressed air and connected everything back up. Upon driving it the primary would only boost to about 9psi  which was less than before and in twin mode it was hiccuping and bucking- the same as it did last time I stuffed with the black box, but last time it went away after resetting the ECU. So I tried that and had a look in the box for anything amiss, nothing I could see. So I have been driving it round trying different things- lines on or off and if anything it seems to be getting worse.

It has put out no codes until I really floored it and had it coughing and spluttering for a long time- the check engine light flickered a few times and on checking it was code 23 which I read is AFM related (Abnormal voltage entered from air flow sensor) but I think this is the result of all the coughing and spluttering, and it was quite hard to get it to do this. The problem seems to be getting worse- to begin with it was ok but not as much boost until twin mode but now it is hiccuping through the whole rev range but is really bad under boost.

I know it came just after I played with the box but could this be fuel or spark related, and what could be happening so badly other than that that would not produce a code? I'm lost and want to throw up a bit.

Cheers

Josh

#2 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

OK, more stuffing around- I removed all the lines to the secondary wastegate, ECV and IACV and took it for a drive. It made zero boost as I found the IACV is sucked closed in primary mode, but drove fine- no hesitation but just like an NA car. It eventually threw a check engine light but that was expected. I then plugged the IACV line back in and it had boost but would stutter and then I think fuel cut as the ECV didn't open. One by one i hooked the lines back up. I ran it without the secondary waste gate hooked up to see if it was randomly opening that but no change.

I know this all happened after I stuffed with the BBoD but I am leaning towards some sort of fuel shortage or lack of spark. When I got the car it would stutter under boost when the second turbo kicked in- this was cured with new plugs and cleaning up the coils, but they all had cracks in them, but could these be a culprit?

Can it fuel cut and not throw a code?

It never threw any codes when the plugs were blowing out either. Really, apart from that AFM code 23 which was very hard to make it do there haven't been any others.

#3 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

Also, could this be as simple as it doesn't like the short boost control lines? I can't imagine so as it ran fine before I stuffed with the BBoD

#4 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

Phew, fixed it.

I pulled the whole lot of what I had touched apart and cleaned the lot again. This time for the BBoD I got some electrical cleaner rather than SUEC, as that doesn't seem to evaporate and seems to leave a residue in the pipes. I also got some MAF cleaner and gave that a clean, just in case. I went over all the electrical connectors around the place and cleaned them too- the main BBoD one was really dirty. I cleaned all the earths around the engine bay , the one for the ignitor was quite dirty and corroded.

But what I actually think was the problem- when i pulled the airbox and MAF off there was all water in there, and the filter was soggy as! Because I have not put the guard liner back in yet and my car is missing the plastic elbow from the inner guard it was just getting showered with water from the front wheel (its been raining), and probably why it got worse last night. The morning's test drive, I think was dry. I am now just running with out the filter and it goes well and sounds cool. I will get another filter soon and put that inner guard liner back in.

The only thing that makes me think this was NOT the problem is that last time I messed with the BBoD it did exactly the same thing straight after but not as bad- resetting the ECU or maybe just time to dry out seemed to cure it. And because I cleaned everything else at once I will not know. But both times I used SUEC to clean the BBoD it did this and the one time I cleaned it out with electrical cleaner it was fine. So I don't know, but I wouldn't recommend SUEC for the BBoD job in future as that sort of residue cant be good.

Cheers

Josh

#5 Chaapppppp

Chaapppppp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

Glad you got it sorted 👍

#6 Ordex

Ordex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

would you be able to take a picture(s) to show where all the earths you cleaned are? I'd like to do this too.

#7 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

Thanks Chaaaap!

Ordex, Yeah no worries I'll have a look tomorrow. Basically mine has two braided earths from the manifold, one goes to one of the BBoD bolts, the other goes to just behind the LH strut tower into the ignitor bracket (I only discovered the ignitor today when chasing this earth), which the ignitor also earths to. The other comes out of the loom somewhere near the battery and bolts to the chassis at the front. All were pretty cruddy and the front one had evidence of having been cleaned before- maybe someone was chasing a problem in the past. No Idea if any of this helped but it cant have hurt.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users