6 pot brembo sti bbk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cars, computers, snowboarding (y)

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:23 AM

Howdy all. 

So it was late, not a creature was stirring except.. (the 4 assholes in..), no no, me. Not Die Hard.

Anyway, I was perusing guides/forums on big brakes for our cars (my god Caddy CTS 4 pots are popular) and something struck me, not literally. 

No one really has a guide to fit 6 pots from one of the many manufacturers that offer them, most of the time, in the form of Alcon or Brembo.

As I found, the ever-popular Caddy brake solution and the 6 pots they offer, won't fit. Plainly, because of the mounting bracket, it would interfere with the knuckle, and the caliper can't be modified thanks in part, to the mounting being a part of the caliper casting. 

Thankfully, Caddy are not the only manufacturer that uses a Brembo 6 pot caliper. AMG also does. 

And as the images will show (and some of you will click instantly), they're designed... differently, to the CTS ones. For those of you who don't get it, unlike the CTS 6 pots, the mount isn't moulded! In fact, the design resembles the same as you would see from an aftermarket brake kit (Like the Brembo GT 6 pot). 

So, I'm thinking of buying a caliper (the one pictured for example, is $374USD for the caliper and pads, for reference, a Brembo GT 6 pot front kit is over $5,000) and seeing if I can mock up a bracket that would screw onto the caliper, then onto my knuckle. 

A pricey project but I think it's doable. The most expensive part is rotors. However, there are numerous sources for custom rotors in any design required. 

So... comments? Thoughts? I think there's method(logy) to my madness. 

Tim

Attached Files

#2 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:33 AM

Further to my original post, I searched for some STi 6 pots on eBay and found a similar picture, so I compared the two (attached).

My basic theory is, in the newly fabricated AMG bracket, you would simply have to make a bracket that has the holes further away from the centre, to mate to the Subaru knuckle. 

Am I under-analysing this or..? Because it just seems very simple. Lines might be a bit of bastard but you can have ones made, again, numerous places will do it.  

Attached Files

#3 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Sure, but why?

tIeW8DE.png

#4 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

Because cheap big ass Brembos.

#5 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

Naturally, the Chinese have beaten us to the punch. It really is as easy as I think. 

https://www.aliexpre...VvSHU8yv0yvazUY

There you have it folks. Get some rotors and happy days. 

Stay posted.

#6 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

Dickass

tIeW8DE.png

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

Have you considered the relationship between the master cylinder bore diameter and the caliper piston diameters?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#8 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

Yeah no, want cheap good brakes the 4 pot WRX are fine, guaranteed fitment.

If in a crash and not engineered you're dog boned.

#9 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yeah no, want cheap good brakes the 4 pot WRX are fine, guaranteed fitment.

If in a crash and not engineered you're dog boned.

Yes for everyday normal driving, you are correct.

But when you hit the hills with your m8's, the wrx 4 pots just dont cut it.

I had the wrx brakes, cooked them.

Now got brembo front and wrx 2 pot rears, Intima SR6300 pads and DBA t3 rotors.

On an Alpine cruise weekend a few weeks ago, cooked the brakes on one long downhill section.

#10 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Yes for everyday normal driving, you are correct.

But when you hit the hills with your m8's, the wrx 4 pots just dont cut it.

I had the wrx brakes, cooked them.

Now got brembo front and wrx 2 pot rears, Intima SR6300 pads and DBA t3 rotors.

On an Alpine cruise weekend a few weeks ago, cooked the brakes on one long downhill section.

Need better pads. I used Ferodo DS2500, never had a issue with them. 4pots are the same on R32 GTRs they are ok with the right pads and rotors.

Car has brake cooling ducts? 

#11 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Need better pads. I used Ferodo DS2500, never had a issue with them. 4pots are the same on R32 GTRs they are ok with the right pads and rotors.

Car has brake cooling ducts? 

Omr's Outback is a hefty beast with a boat chassis.

The 4pots are adequate on a light chassis, GC8/BRZ, but can be limited on others. Also driving style has a lot to do with it, I don't brake a lot, Omr is a grey nomad so hits the brakes at every corner.

However, wouldn't be surprised if you find 4pots and Ferodo pads more than adequate, they are a good pad.

#12 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:04 PM

Probably wouldn't require anything more than some adequately designed dog bones Tim. Your rotor choice would most certainly be an aspect of the design, as it would dictate how 'long' the extension of the dog bone is needed. And once thats figured, you need to look at wheel clearances. No good having a 350mm disc and then the gynormous 6 pot caliper dictating that you need 20" wheels to clear them. It sounds simple, but what you really need is someone skilled with 3D CAD software and preferably a 3D scanner to model the parts for you. Either that or hours of test fitting. CAD is easier, but needs a skilled operator.

I'm not sure the master cylinder would keep up as mentioned above. You'd need to pump it twice to stop more than slowly.

Certainly doable, but there's a lot of work there.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#13 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

I draw stuff in cad everyday.. If you need, hand sketch the shape you want and send it to me, I can draw it in cad, send you a PDF in 1:1 scale that you can print, stick it against your mounts and check, then adjust and redo easy as if needed. 

OR i can draw the final part for you and give you the files for a cnc machinist or laser/waterjet cutter.

I've drawn so many things like that, even exhaust manifold bends, printed them on A3 paper in 1:1 scale and it makes cutting the perfect angle soooooo much easier and quicker

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 6 pot, brembo, sti, bbk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users