hvac led lcd vfd colour change

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cars, computers, snowboarding (y)

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Hey guys, 

Like most gen 3 owners, I have a dislike for the green HVAC controls. Especially now with a BFM and a modern headunit, it sticks out. 

So, I've been researching this pretty constantly and I finally figured it out. First note; it's not an LCD. It's a VFD. 

If you're on Import Monster for gen 3's often, you've probably seen this image around.

Attached File  v539040113.jpg   16.65KB   12 downloads

Well, I figured it out. I'll skip to the chase. You need this. 

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

I'll post progress as I start receiving things and stuff and start doing stuff and things. 

Tim

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Yeah nice. Been meaning to do this to a gen 2 one for the last 5 years lol

tIeW8DE.png

#3 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

Yeah nice. Been meaning to do this to a gen 2 one for the last 5 years lol

I'm sure you have a spare somewhere! Lol

It honestly seems like a menial task but I'm still going to nick a part to get a spare one in case I ruin it in the process lol

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

I'm keeping posted on this. I'll be doing this to the daily.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

**also on forum.liberty.asn.au**

Howdy all, 

Welcome to my guide for changing the colour of the HVAC display in your gen 3 Liberty/Legacy. 

As some of you know, there was a product available on Yahoo! Auctions and Import Monster that did exactly what I'm about to show you. It came with a replacement screen cover and a set of LED's to change the overall output to white. It's no longer available and I wanted to know how to do it. 

So, for this procedure, you will need

A sharp knife/scissors
VFD light filter (https://www.ebay.com...itm/VFD-Display ... 2749.l2649)
Some LED's, T3 I think (and hopefully you actually receive them..)
Double sided tape
Screwdrivers
Black tinted perspex/acrylic glass
a Dremel/multi-tool 
an accurate cutting tool (I used a milling machine - read more to see why)

Let's get started. 

I'm assuming you have either the knowledge for removing the control unit or have already done so. 

1. Disassemble the HVAC unit totally. There are 4 screws on the back part of the case and tabs that need to be clicked open. Remove the backing and you'll see another 3 screws on the PCB, as well as a ribbon cable, remove those too. Careful with the ribbon cable and tab, these are easy to damage. Once you have removed the screws and un-clicked the plastic tabs, the entire unit should pull apart. 

2. Once it's all apart, take the front panel and carefully remove the front layer of plastic glass. It can be tough to remove but it will come off. Keep it as you will need it to make a template.

3. Cut the filter to size.

Now comes the fun, trimming/shaping the perspex. Few places will undertake it and if they do, it'll be expensive. The difficulty in this process starts with the bevel and the contour.

4. Leave the paper on the perspex, and carefully outline the shape of the piece you removed earlier.

5. Using your cutting tool, trim the perspex down to size. Make sure to be careful with this as it is remarkably easy to mess up. If you have/have access to a milling machine, I suggest using one with a medium feed rate and high RPM. 

Once the general shape is cut out, I suggest using a Dremel/multi-tool with a sanding attachment to round the edge where the temperature adjustment is. Once it is curved close to the factory piece, start contouring. I suggest holding at about 30-45 degrees and sanding uniformily from one side to the other for a nice finish. I used some nail paint stuff from Woolies to paint the plastic and it's un-noticeable. 

Make sure to keep test fitting and get it right. As said, easy to fk up. 

Once you've got to a point you're happy with, apply double sided tape to the plastic frame. I found some clear and extremely thin stuff again, from Woolies. Works perfectly. 

Do the same to the filter on the actual display itself.

Reassemble (in the reverse order) and fit your LED's.

Assuming war were not declared, success. 

DIY HVAC mod, done. 

Hope this helps you guys, yell out if you have any questions. 

Thanks, Tim.

Attached Files

#6 kyle.horton16

kyle.horton16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Suby, Skylines, Silvias and skids I guess.

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

Ebay link to VFD doesn't seem to work. Where might be the best place to still get it?

Notorious for being low, hated for being so.

#7 timslib

timslib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:49 AM

Ebay link to VFD doesn't seem to work. Where might be the best place to still get it?

Looking into it. Standby. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hvac, led, lcd, vfd, colour, change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users