Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#121 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:27 PM

Yep, and doubles as the set of manual pedals that'll be installed in the track car when I finally pull this car to pieces! Rip out the gen2 amalgamated Accel/brake pedal and install this set. Complete with alloy look pads.
Will be great not snagging my foot on the brake pedal when I push the clutch in! On the slow boat over here, but I have time.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#122 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:14 AM

Are you still running the auto brake pedal?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#123 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:44 AM

Yea, cut down with to the approximate size and fitted with the manual pedal pad. It works, but it sits closer to the clutch by about 5 to 10mm. Which isn't much, but it's enough to snag the foot with shoes on. I've learnt how to drive with it, but it's going to be magic having space again!

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#124 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:07 PM

New pedal has hit Melbourne today. Hopefully have it soon!

Would have been nice to be able to fit the gen4 one, but it seems when you ask for all the brackets that they take that as only the clutch bracket, and we'll just send him the brake pedal minus the bracket... Little bit miffed as to what happened there, but oh well.

Have it all sorted soon.

Cheers,
Ben

#125 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:38 PM

Well, Mr Skippy decided he wanted to fork me up from the grave this morning on the way to work. Didn't seem him dead in the middle of my lane until it was too late to do anything about it. One of the disadvantages of a lowered car I guess.

No damage to the front of the car, but noticed a crack in the rear exhaust when I pulled over. Just the straight bit of pipe between the diff cradle and the muffler. No biggy, I'll get to work, then get what I need to patch the hole after work. Slowly got louder as I got to work, but didn't think much of it.

Got in after work, and its loud. Figured it was cos it cooled off and made the hole larger... Oh how I was wrong... Surprised I made it the 28km to my mates workshop and hoist. Of the 3" diameter pipe (approx 250mm in length if it was unrolled), and there was about 30mm strip of weld left holding the muffler on to the rest of the exhaust... I just ripped it off the rest of the exhaust so I could get home. I'll get it fixed up later this week, but damn... that was a close call. Photos once I get things fixed.

Cheers,

Ben

#126 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:31 PM

That was a lucky escape by the sounds of it Ben, could have been a lot worse than an exhaust!
Can you salvage any of it, or is most if the system toast?

Similar thing happened to me, I nearly shat myself!
I was with a mate when we hit a dead wallaby in his, 4 year old at the time, VK Commodore. It was an ex NSW police highway patrol car with a GroupA body kit, so how the hell we never tore all the plastic off it I'll never know. When Skippy hit the diff center, it sure upset the straight line stability first a moment! Mind you we were motoring along at a speed that would get you in a fair bit of trouble these days!

#127 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:29 PM

Yea, could have been a hell of a lot worse, but I'm still spewing I didn't see him sooner... Managed to move slightly so it ran under the drivers side (where the exhaust, dump pipe etc is not), but the cheeky fooker just smacked the pipe where it swings out under the diff anyway, and forked it that way. Little bugger also took out the trailer plug, so I'm gonna need a new one of those too.

Getting the mid-pipe off tomorrow, and my mate will weld it back on for me, as I don't have much experience welding, and to start on thin exhaust is not going to be a good idea. It's probably been 8 years since I picked up a welder. There is no way it would end well if I did it.

Cheers,
Ben

Attached Files

#128 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:33 PM

Yep, that's broken!

#129 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:41 PM

Good effort. Very lucky that’s the only damage, as annoying as it is!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#130 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:09 PM

So this got fixed today. That split you see near the diff is actually about 70% round the tube too. Little bugger must have given it a huge shunt sideways. But she's back in one piece now, and sitting in the shed waiting for me to bolt it back onto the car. Just hope we got the angles right, the zig zag of the break helped line it all up, but we'll see how accurate we were with it....

You're right Bennie, could have been way worse, but damn it shat me off that it happened in the first place. I'll be very happy once I get another ute and this thing goes back to being a parts bus for the track car. Lowered cars are cool, but very unpractical when it comes to road kill. Even dead things hurt!

Cheers,
Ben

#131 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:41 AM

Lowered cars are cool, but very unpractical when it comes to road kill. Even dead things hurt!

Even dead things hurt - classic. I remember lifting the L series and being disappointed that rabbits and even foxes were harder to hit (foxes tend to crouch down) unless you got a tyre over them. Roos and wallabies didnt change one bit... back in my Torana days, if it was between the wheels it was a definite kill, it just depended what animal it was and on which part of the floor pan/front end it would contact.

Last night coming home from huna in the Pajero we nailed a hare good and proper under the front wheel. I didnt see it until just before it went out of view under the bonnet then heard and felt the thunk-thunk. It wouldnt have known what hit it which is how Id prefer all road kill to come off - no suffering. Ive seen too many Roos laying on the side of the road alert but with a broken back and busted arms/ribs. Not good.

Anyway, that turned morbid unintentionally.

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#132 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:18 PM

Glad it's all sorted Ben. Fingers crossed it all bolts back up OK.

#133 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:08 PM

Yea, bolted back up no particular dramas, had to shorten up the pipes a little, as the stress fractures made the metal pretty thin at the snap point. It's not a perfect fit, and it will probably have a dent at the diff because the new location makes it rattle against the diff when I shut the engine off, but it works. Cars probably going to come off the road soon anyway. Missus was successful at getting a team leader position today, so hopefully we'll have her car paid off sooner, giving room in the budget for me to get one quicker than expected.

#134 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:27 PM

Sounds like a couple wins right there Ben!

#135 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:37 PM

Cruising mate!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#136 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:50 PM

Yea, been a ripper week for both myself and the missus. She got the promotion on Monday, and I signed my new contract to start a new position out at work today, it's going wonderfully.

#137 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:48 PM

Congrats Ben! Hopefully this will make things easier and have a few other things moving along quicker for you guys!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#138 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

Cheers Bennie, been good so far, this will make it easier than it already is... I copped a little bit of a pay cut for the new position, but her increase more than makes up for it. 

Ordered all the bits from partsouq today for the timing belt. bit of a mixed bag of parts as I had to use different parts to make up the ones that were not available, hopefully the alternate parts are actually right!!!

Weekend is mere hours away! Yes!

Cheers,

Ben

#139 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:33 PM

Damn I love international postage when it works. Ordered timing belt stuff 6 days ago from Dubai, and it's already in country and through customs.

#140 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:39 PM

Make sure it isolates for 14 days before being let out into the community. :ph34r:

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users