• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hey again. I have been looking to replace my stock and very tired looking top mount with either a front mount, which I have read is very good for these, or due to ease an uprated top mount. I have come across some chinese 100mm thick ones for GC8's for a good price which look like they should fit with some fettling, but wondered if there will be any improvement with something like this or is it just a waste of time.

https://www.ebay.com...9ffd5a0b3|iid:1.

I understand that if I do mount a bigger top mount I will need to make some sort of ducting to allow the air to actually get to it, which I'm sure i can do.

The only other mods I have is my recent 2.5" dumps to 3" main section with no cats. I now goes like a cut snake but I don't like the idea of the crappy stock intercooler, especially in the condition its in.

Cheers

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

The stock coolers are quite good but if its munted a new one wont hurt. 

A friend of mine had the perhaps original or at least branded/rebranded one of them. It worked. About all you can really say about intercoolers without testing efficiency or pressure drop 

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Thanks mate. Have you had any experience with a front mount in these? I'm up in darwin and its hot as most of the time and with the current setup I really notice a difference on the cooler days. I think a front mount would be the best way to go in terms of cooling but I dont know if its worth the added hassle of fitting it plus the extra lag they may or may not produce (depends on who you ask). I thought a bigger top mount might be a good compromise.

Cheers

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

FMIC works great. Gets tricky with twins as you obviously have 2 turbos to collect from.

Scarles in NZ used to and may still make a kit but its ugly and has heaps of joiners to leak from. 

Custom made with an upside down core and 2 small cut outs under the lights is the best way to do it. Nice short piping for the minimal if any increase in lag and keep your foglights. From your exhaust post you look handy with a welder so get welding.

Pics for reference on my single turbo twisted setup but same principle
4yWtjDa.jpg
waS1rBE.jpg
And the kit donor
XgfxTpN.png

tIeW8DE.png

#5 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:16 PM

Thanks heaps for those pics, I hadn't seen it done that way before and really like it as I am looking to keep the stock airbox even if I have to remove and plate in some of it, just to keep the MAF happy. And keeping the fog lights is a onus too. Have you got any closer pics of the cuts needed? I think front mount is the way I'm going to go. I was looking at modifying a gc8 kit, as they all seem to be much the same but this way looks neater.

Cheers

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

This will give you idea on the NZ Scarles kit, particularly the twin hot side.

https://www.scarles....-piping-scarles

DSC_0458_R6X1LUDH6GA4_6204bc14-9fdd-4b69

#7 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Duncan. I have been looking at that kit and thinking about getting one however I am pretty keen to have the hot side routed similar to the cold side ie, not through the guard in the hope of retaining my stock airbox to keep the MAF happy. It would only require one or two new pipes to be made.

Barbbachello, I have just been out looking at mine and while I see yours has aircon fitted, which I need to keep, I can't see how the left hand side hose is routed through under the headlight. My receiver dryer is right in the way. On my WRX parts car the receiver dryer is moved but there are still aircon hard lines right in the way.

Cheers

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

You can just unbolt it and move it out of the way

This is the best pic ive got atm. Basically just cut the apron down to the chassis rail. Mine wagon was done by the previous owner whos handy with sheet metal. Holesaw and had the relief fold put back in. Borderline oem
2N002Pz.jpg

tIeW8DE.png

#9 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:56 PM

Thanks mate, that's great info and pics.

I have gone soft for now and ordered one of those chinese top mounts. I wasn't looking to do the front mount until the end of the year so at least the top mount iwll be something i can (more or less) bolt on.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users