• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BennyMill

BennyMill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

Hey y'all. I recently had the turbo on my '08 Forester XT replaced after the old turbo made a loud squeal before there was a clunk and I lost power going down the highway. Because I was out of town, the installation was by a mechanic I don't know.

The new turbo now makes a squeal too and I'm wondering if there was a fault with the installation or whether the noise is normal. I can't attach an audio clip unfortunately. But the squeal starts when the turbo kicks in at any speed, and then continues for as long as you accelerate. Once you take your foot off the accelerator, the high-pitched noise stops.

So, what do you think - dodgy install, normal, or something else?

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

mechanical sort of squeal, or escaping air sort of whistle ?

May be a simple case of leaking on the manifold side of turbo (turbo to TMIC or TMIC to throttle body) at one of the hose clamps. I'd check those first.

#3 BennyMill

BennyMill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

mechanical sort of squeal, or escaping air sort of whistle ?

Tx for the reply. I'd say it is a mechanical whistle - pitch is very high and gets higher with higher rpm. I'll look at the hose clamps - a mechanic who did a recent oil change said they look okay but that's not to say one hasn't loosened since then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users