Photo

Gen 2 BBoD diagram & #45 Engine check light.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

Hey Subygurus,

Ive bought Sladdos car which has been the topic of much discussion. It's a 96 liberty with a front cut ej20 in it. It appears that it has the 2nd Gen BBod in it & has lots of blue hoses which may or may not be connected properly & may be missing pills. My questions are;

Does anyone have a Gen 2 diagram of BBoD?

I believe that my issue may be with the Map sensor,( I've cleaned the lines to & from it ) When I unplug the map sensor nothing changes as far as general engine running or engine check light & it still throws the same error code I've  checked & cleaned all solenoids in the BBod, I've performed the ecv solenoid bypass modification as suggested in twin turbo. I note that this mod might not be suitable for D/E revisions ( could mine be a D/E revision ? )  Should I bung a new map sensor in it & where is the best place to get one?? 

Cheers 

Benzene

#2 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

Hi Ben, there are a few different versions of the Gen2 BBoD, as the earliest versions had 2 waste gates. I think the BBoD diagram in the TT guide is for an early one, like 94 or 95.

Also, when you say MAP sensor, I think that is inside the BBoD on these. You haven't been unplugging the differential pressure sensore near the fire wall have you? Also, I read somewhere that if any carb cleaner etc gets into the MAP sensor inside the BBoD when cleaning it it can stuff the MAP. If you can find a correct diagram for the plumbing and confirm yours is right I reckon it would be worth changing the sensor- at least it gave you a code to point you in the right direction. I have got good prices on genuine parts from Amayama.

Good luck with it!

#3 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hi Josh, thanks for the advice mate. I haven't touched the differential pressure sensor ( fortunately ??) My car has 2 wastegates & the map sensor is indeed in BBoD, I don't know whether carby cleaner has been used in the past. It appears that this car has had the error code 45 since 2016 ( I have looked up it's history through this club & there are a few posts on it )  a new map sensor is something I'm happy to purchase .Do you need numbers or anything to I.D it , What's one cost & when can I have it?

Thanks!

#4 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:38 AM

This may help!

There are a couple of variations of the BDOD in the early TTs with the secondary turbo waste-gate.

This is one of them.

Attached Files

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#5 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

There is a good image of a twin WG solenoid box in the TT thread on here too but for some reason on my computer at least it is all blurry. Have a look on your browser and see if you can get it. its on the first page. I did some reading on code 45 too and there is some talk of it being to do with the solenoid that ports the air to the MAP sensor or the line from the intercooler that goes to it getting gunked up, not the actual map. Have you put the car in diagnostic mode (green and black plugs connected, ignition on) to see if the solenoid/s are actually cycling? This is when you also can spray some electrical cleaner through them and the hoses.

Another thing worth mentioning is that these setups are really sensitive to line diameter- I replaced only one section of mine with smaller diameter stuff and it barely went into TT mode the VOD was so bad. Switched back and all back to normal.

#6 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the diagram Zanzara, I think it matches mine ( I'm away for a couple of days & will check when I get back) Thanks too Josh, I have  put the car in diagnostic mode & the solenoids do cycle. There is a large gold solenoid , Exhaust duty I believe, that cycles very rapidly while the others click like indicator frequency. There is a mod described in TT that eliminates this solenoid. I have just found the correct resistor to fit in place of this solenoid & will bung it in tomorrow. I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks! 

#7 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:59 PM

Hey Ben, good luck with it. To tell you the truth I am going to finally cave and do a single turbo swap in the next six months or so, and mine runs just as it should as far as I can tell. There are definitely advantages to the TT setup and I reckon the later ones with better turbos would probably go pretty well but with my (and yours I think) tiny turbos and the tuning in the early cars they are just so slow! So if you can't fix it dont dispair too much as a single swap is an option and hopefully will make the car what it should have been to begin with.

#8 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

Hey Josh, I'm a bit of a masochist ( enjoy the pain ) & I'm determined to make my TT setup work! I've tested my map sensor with a vacuum pump & the signal voltage does not change. I'm 99% sure it's stuffed. I'd like to buy a replacement. According to the book it's a 1990- 1994 map sensor with the triangular electrical connector. Can you help me procure one please?

Cheers mate!

#9 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:37 PM

The best places I have found to get genuine subaru old GT stuff is Amayama. They have an excellent data base that drills down into the factory parts list  to find exactly what you need. Import car parts in the UK is also really good in some cases. For example they are the only two places I managed to find a brand new genuine blue label MAF for our car. ICP was 400 bucks which was a lot but Amayama was like 700! For other things Amayama has been better prices than ebay though.

I think the MAP Sensor is on this page Though I don't know the difference between the a and b part numbers

https://www.amayama....j20h/engine/081

And her is the eye watering price.

https://www.amayama....ngine/081/22012*A

It does say its the same sensor for the EJ20R so you could probably find one in a wreckers or here on the forum to test.

#10 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

And typing that part number into google

https://www.trademe....-2314157638.htm

I also read that the same sensor is used up to 2008. You'll have to confirm that though

#11 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:45 PM

I just read the triangle part. I don't know about that but the 1990 to 94 is the gen 1 legacy and woud be a single turbo. Ours only started in 94.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users