• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:39 PM

The patient: 1999/2000 RX Liberty wagon (EJ251) 5spd manual.

Issue: swapped in second hand gearbox (pick a part special!) only to find the vehicle now has a wobble like feeling from the front left when under acceleration, becomes worse with heavier acceleration. All other times the vehicle generally feels unsettled.
The other issue is that I have that totally awesome catch-let go-catch-let go feeling or experience when turning tight such as when performing a U turn.

Questions:
1) can a stuffed centre diff create the issue with the front end that Im experiencing?

2) can the viscous gel stuff leak from the viscous LSD housing, and if so, what does it look like?

Question 2 was asked because after stripping down the old box that was replaced, Ive found a ball of what looks like silicone near the front diff area, and in between the drive and output of the centre diff is the same sort of material. It does seem like silicone but its just odd.

This gearbox has presumably done over 400k km now - if it hasnt been changed at some point. It was swapped because of a bearing noise and it was slipping out of gear (possibly due to shot pitch stopper rod and gearboxs mount).

Upon rotating the centre diff it seems the noise is in the rear bearing. This centre diff is good so itll end up in the wagon either way - unless that grey material is the viscous gel stuff.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

To answer my own questions:

1) No, but a dying front left wheel bearing will do it (I think it’s a wheel bearing, will know for sure soon enough once it’s swapped for new)

2) No, upon checking out the centre diff in question it was definitely some sort of sealant. The casing for the gell in the LSD is tough and I can see why it’s non-serviceable. Although I’m sure something could be worked around if someone was keen enough to drill some holes to drown the gel out and replace it.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:43 PM

There's a bloke over at .asn who can rebuild the VCD on a change over basis. Billy Corgi is his username.

The ex wife's Gen3 rx did the old jerk in reverse on full lock, classic VCD issue, so I just pulled the VCD apart and cleaned out the gummed up silicon and reassembled it minus all the VCD plates so basically is just an open diff now. Didn't really notice anything different driving it, other and bit more wheelspin from the front if I dumped the clutch in the wet.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Back to my original question and my reply to question 1’above.

1) a dying bearing wasn’t the issue, but fresh bearings up front reduced the vibration but it was definitely still there under load. Turned out to be the drive shaft that I re-booted. One of the rings on those tri pieces fell off into the in we cup, where it lived until I found it. All sorted now. Frustrating!!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Centre diff, binding diff, binding, binding centre diff, 5mt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users