Photo

Anyone DIY’d their front wheel bearings?

Bearing bearings bearing knuckle front bearings bearing replacement

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:02 PM

So its front wheel bearing time on my sisters Gen 3...

Anyone got any DIY success they can share with me? My main issue is removing the outer race from within the knuckle/front hub.

Hoping to do this myself as thats the way I like it, but if I need to go to a shop thatll be done.

Hints/tips/advice welcome.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

Have you got access to a press and a bunch of large-ish round bar or sockets for pressing the bearing? 

I've done one many years ago with success, but the old man has a pretty sweet shed with even a lathe if needed for turning up something to fit the bearings or an oxy when desperate. We didn't have a press either, just a massive record vice and big mash hammer, slide hammer etc. 

I have a subaru workshop manual showing it all (for my gen2 outback) if you want a copy? PM me your email address. 

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for your reply CR.

Sounds like you’ve got access to a sweet shed!

I ran into a mate on Sunday and he had a small press that I used yesterday. It was sweet! I’ve now got a press on my “I want list”.

This little thing made the work very easy! I highly recommend anyone that knows what needs to be done to have a crack on a press. No tapping with a pin punch was ever going to get the old bearing cases out!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bearing, bearings, bearing knuckle, front bearings, bearing replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users