2 replies to this topic

#1 daniel270991

daniel270991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

Hello SubyClub community,

Daniel here, new member from Melbourne. Have arrived with a high recommendation from a friend who is a member on here also. Here for the long haul! In recent times, I have taken ownership of a 2010 2.0L Impreza, 4AET with full documented service history.

At the moment, it has 115,000klms (70~k miles). The only slight issue I have now is mentioned below - which I am hoping to clarify and have rectified.

To very briefly explain it - at around 60-65kmh, with the foot on the gas. As soon as I let go of the gas and the car coast/decelerate, a noise not too dissimilar to a higher pitched sound "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" is heard. It is not obnoxiously loud, but is noticeable - a higher pitched noise - and as the car slows, the noise also winds down until around 10-15kmh, where it clears.
The noise is NOT present on acceleration - literally only with the foot off the gas/decelerating from the above speeds. Not heard at idle either.

As I mentioned above, the car has a full documented service history - the timing chain/tensioner was serviced by a Subi dealer at the 95,000klm mark, a year and a half ago. Transmission was also serviced in the last 10,000ks.

Being relatively mechanically minded (but not a pro by any standards) - it sounds like some sort of bearing noise, which I have read a little that it "may" be. Hence, I am asking this question of trying to eliminate the guesswork - if anyone does have any pointers or advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers - D

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

Welcome to the forum Daniel.

If you think it’s a wheel bearing you can jack up each wheel and spin it, if there’s a rumbling like noise or any whirring noise that’s the bearing causing the noise, or one of anyway.

The other issue could be driveshaft related - see if it’s still present when coasting in neutral. If it’s not there it could be sworn CV joint.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 daniel270991

daniel270991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:36 PM

Hi Bennie,

Thanks for the reply, very appreciated of course.

Tried coasting in neutral with the car, and the noise does completely dissapears when rolling in neutral.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users