1 reply to this topic

#1 Dahmybot

Dahmybot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Subaru outback, 2009 onwards.

My partner and I want to drive it to Darwin (from Melbourne) with some light-medium off-roading. We would stay in Darwin and be doing weekend trips. We have a couple of questions and would love your advice on...

Diesel or petrol?
We like the fuel efficiency and reported low emissions. Have read a bit about DPF issues, are these common/realistic concerns?

Lift kits.
How high would you go and have you got fitter recommendations in Melbourne?

Would you invest in bottom protection plates?

To bull bar or not to bull bar?

Storage recommendations for roof racks?

We are wanting to get an idea of what you would prioritise of these things.

We are really excited but agonising over all these things so please help tip us into ownership.

Thanks so much in advance!

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

Hit up Subi Lift Oxford a Lift kit. Generally 2 inches does the job via a strut lift.

Bullbar - your call. Expensive but probably worth it up north with the wildlife (and around vic too actually!).

Diesel/petrol - good question. Diesel is a very torquey engine. My concern would be a batch of dodgy fuel out bush. Petrol would probably be the better option in that case. I could be wrong though, hopefully others will have a difinitie answer for you.

Definitely get bash plates! Last thing you want is something through your sump or auto pan (assuming you go auto).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users