• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcupit

pcupit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

I have a 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.0lt EJ20 SOHC engine.  For a while it was making a noise at around 2.5k revs we couldn't identify.  A few days ago the noise got bad the engine failed and I had to get it towed home.  On investigation I found I should have investigated earlier....   Cam belt was chewed, the cams 180 degrees out of time.  The tensioner bolt had starting coming out so the belt was moving forward, the tensioner was also chewing it's way through the cover.  The tensioner bolt (probably through vibration, or previous bad mechanic or both) was cross threaded or at least the threads of the bolt are filled with aluminium from the block...

My question is, is it possible to put in a helicoil without removing the engine from the vehicle, my thought it not since that bolt would probably need to be very accurately in parallel with all the other shafts of the pulleys etc.

Of course RHS valves are probably bent... So it's all bad..

Any ideas appreciated. Images: Attached File  20191221_170149.jpg   310.2KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20191221_172858.jpg   241.69KB   1 downloads

Thanks.

#2 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:51 PM

Firstly Hi and welcome to Subiclub.

The bracket that the tensioner bolts to, it unbolts from the block with 3 bolts.

So helicoil or a new/secondhand bracket is the way to go.

Did the cam belt come off, ie were piston moving without the cams turning ??

If so its a very high chance of bent valves.

You could refit the timing belt and do a comp test, this should tell you if you have valve issues.

If the heads are coming off, remove engine from the body, so much easier to work on.

What state / area are you from ??

#3 pcupit

pcupit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks yeah after googling and calming down found that there was a bracket. I am from ACT My son and i will pull the engine. It failed at about 80k and was pretty noisy so bent valves highly likely.

#4 pcupit

pcupit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:21 AM

Belt not of but rhs cam out by 180 degrees if true that timing marks should all be pointing up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users