Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

Hybrids and EVs will represent 40% of its output by 2030

Attached File  2020-Subaru-Crosstrek-Hybrid-10.jpg   195.66KB   0 downloads

In a surprise announcement, Subaru says they will have an all-EV lineup by the mid-2030s. Are you ready for all-electric Forester, Outback and Ascent models?

Subaru Corporation needs to keep up with the global EV revolution and they have just announced a plan to do it. Subaru Corporation held a press briefing today spelling out their electrification plans and there are many changes coming for the Japanese automaker. President Tomomi Nakamura says Subaru will move quickly toward its long-term goal of a carbon-free society, setting a target to sell only electric vehicles worldwide by the first half of the 2030s.

Some things won’t be changing. Nakamura says in the midst of a once-in-a-century period of “profound transformation”, Subaru will stay true to its core values of using horizontally-opposed “Boxer” engines, all-wheel-drive (AWD) technologies, superior driving performance, and safety (EyeSight driver assist).

He went on to say, in this new era of mobility, the Subaru brand will strive to remain “different from other brands”, and will further hone the distinctive qualities that make a Subaru a Subaru, and will “maintain the unique attributes our customers have come to expect.”

With Toyota increasing its stake in Subaru to 20 percent, customers can look for Subaru to develop a new hybrid vehicle using Toyota technology that will debut later in the decade. Subaru did not say if the hybrid would be an existing nameplate like Outback or Forester. Chief Technology Officer Tetsuo Onuki said at the briefing, "Although we're using Toyota technology, we want to make hybrids that are distinctly Subaru.”

Attached File  2019-subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-106-1542648196.jpg   50.33KB   0 downloads

Even more changes are coming as Subaru will also collaborate with Toyota to develop its first all-electric all-wheel-drive vehicle for release around the same time (later this decade). This will be a vehicle that is distinctively a Subaru.

Other details emerged from the announcement, and Subaru spelled out the following long-term goals moving the global agenda towards achieving a carbon-free society.

By 2030, 40 percent of all Subaru global sales will come from electric vehicles (EVs) or hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). By the first half of the 2030s, all Subaru vehicles sold worldwide will have either hybrid power or all-electric technology. Subaru Corporation will reduce its CO2 emissions from new vehicles (in operation) sold worldwide by 90 percent or more by 2050 compared to 2010 levels.

Attached File  2019-subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-107-1542648192.jpg   44.58KB   0 downloads

In addition to its commitment to sell only electric vehicles worldwide by the first half of the 2030s, Subaru will also reduce emissions at its factories and offices to 30 percent below 2017 levels by 2031.

Customers can look for new hybrid and all-electric all-wheel vehicles to arrive soon, and existing nameplates like Outback wagon, Forester compact SUV, and Ascent family hauler models will be electrified by the first half of the 2030s.

Attached File  2019-subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-102-1542648192.jpg   71.83KB   0 downloads

This info and more can be found at: https://www.torquenews.com/

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

I'm glad its warm in Oz..

https://www.disclose...7fXC0O-mKkI4Y8s

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

I'm seeing more and more EV's on the road lately.

Saw a Tesla the other day on a back road in Vic, miles from anywhere!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

I hope the quality better than the mass produced rubbish they make now.

#5 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

Bring it! Electric STI, F*** yeah, after test driving Tesla model S performance, I want a EV

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

I’d have an EV if I can still go bush for a week and a bit AND have enough battery to get there and back out safely without relying on solar charging (if going out in inclement weather). It would need to deal with watercrossings too.

I do like my petrol (and diesels now that we have one in the family, not Subaru though) engines though. There’s something about fire creating the power, and the noise associated with the Subaru burble. Doubt the EV would do that without a speaker and a recording.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#7 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

We also added a Diesel to the garage (Prado) and forked off a Civic. I came to the conclusion late last year that the WRX will likely be the last Petrol / ICB car I own.

I still think Hydrogen is the way to go, the current EV batteries seem wasteful. But they will make a huge dent in the market in the next decade. For that reason I can't see myself buying a new/near new Petrol car for city driving and commuting. For what I use my car for, I could easily switch to an EV. But I've yet to see an EV that can replace a 7 seater 4x4 wagon. She needs that capacity for the business and the opportunity presented itself to finally have a 4x4 again, which I missed having.

#8 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

Saw a Tesla the other day on a back road in Vic, miles from anywhere!

They're getting more and more common in Sydney as well, and I too have noticed them in the middle of nowhere. I would honestly look into owning one one day.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#9 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

We saw heaps in Sydney two weeks ago. I’m sure they’re all still there now...

There’s a few getting around Bendigo now and we’ve had the Tesla chargers at a couple of supermarkets for about a year now. I wonder who’s paying for that electricity.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users